Battery tendern & winter storage

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed the oil in the spring of this year. It's time for another. Do I change before winter storage, or in the spring next year? Please explain.

The reason to change oil before storage is because there's the possibility of having moisture in the oil. If water vapor is not completely burned off it will sit in the engine all winter and acclerate corrosion. I think it's always a good idea to have fresh oil for storage. :2tu:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason to change oil before storage is because there's the possibility of having moisture in the oil. If water vapor is not completely burned off it will sit in the engine all winter and acclerate corrosion. I think it's always a good idea to have fresh oil for storage.

I agree, but unless you're changing the oil in your garage and never starting the car again for the winter......you still have to burn off the moisture coming from wherever you had it changed. I get our cars good and hot with some 'spirited driving' for a half hour or so before shutting down and then that's it till spring.

Steve

jaydoc1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry the above link did not work. Here is the correct URL:
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker...7ESCM%7C%7Etrue

Yes, that is a "Float-Mode" charger. It will shut down and restart depending on the charge it senses in your battery.

But here's my question: Is the resistance from the under hood posts to the battery enough to decrease these tenders' sensitivites enough that they stay on all the time and possibly boil off electrolyte? I assume not since everyone uses them. (I just bought a Battery Tender Pro today, I last drove my car two weeks ago and the tender already indicates a less than 80% charge).

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not used mine yet since it has not been too cold and dreary out. Once the weather turns, I will use it and see how it works. Here is another question since I did not hook it up yet, can you close the hood with it hooked up?

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just put one snake away........The $18 Black and Decker tender I just bought comes with 2 charge rates 1&2 amp and also 3 different plug ins for the DC side.
Cigarette lighter plug, very decent alligator clips, and ring terminals for direct hook up. Pretty nice. It's also about half the size of the Everstart tenders I bought 6 yrs. ago for the other cars.

Steve

Where did you find the tender? I am having no luck at my local auto parts stores finding one with the cigarette lighter plug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS