Belanger exhaust banging problem

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I noticed today when I went WOT from a stop with my car that has a Belanger exhaust, that it will make a rapid banging sound on the driver's side exhaust port. I didn't install the exhaust, so I don't know what the layout is. Is there something that has come loose to cause it to make all that slapping noise near the exit of the pipes?

I would like some info before digging in to the car :)

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check the level of the engine as the motor must be jacked up one side at a time to install the headers. Check the driver side Cat as it may be hitting on the bottom of the sill. There are two lower motor mount bolts with adjusting slots to level the engine.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Possible broken motor mounts, busted hanger? Where is the exhaust pipe sit in the exit of the sidesill?

Ted

Reaction score
Could you be getting wheel hop and this is the banging sound you hear behind you? WOT at lower speeds will definitely cause this sound also.

OP
OP
S

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It does sound a bit like wheel hop but I was hoping it'd be something fixable like an exhaust hanger and I think it's only on the left side.

OP
OP
S

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Possible broken motor mounts, busted hanger? Where is the exhaust pipe sit in the exit of the sidesill?

Ted

I think it is level, but I'll go outside and check for sure...I'll post later :)

OP
OP
S

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Both of them are rather on the bottom side. How can I raise that?

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Both of them are rather on the bottom side. How can I raise that?

Slighty loosen the two lower motor mounts bolts and carefully raise the engine using a floor jack placed under the oil pan, be sure to use a buffer block of wood between pan and the jack. (2"x6"x12" is what i used)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's threads like this that make the month (at least) I spent installing the headers and exhaust on my GTS worth that amount of time.

Not that every time that every little quirk can be prevented, but I only spent a small portion of that month (at least!) staring at the car with a beer in my hand. The rest of the time was parts on, parts off, parts on, parts off...

It's called checking, double checking, and then re-checking. Followed by checking again. Very time consuming.

Hope you guys get it fixed. And sorry to brag about the DIY'ers.