Belanger headers, why the orange squeezers?

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought mine I wondered what the "orange squeezer" like cones at the collectors are for. I guess they speed up flow or inhibit flow reversion. Anyone got a technical explanation of how and why they are there. Are they unique to Belanger?

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is the explanation that I found in my research. This does the same thing as a Venturi tube, like the one that Burns uses in his headers. It increases the velocity of the gas with the idea to lower the pressure before the "pickle" to get better flow. The Burns Venturi seems to work better by decreasing the diameter, but the pickle method is easier to build.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In addition to Jerry's comments above, this is the main reason why the Tri-Y design with the proper sized 'pickle' makes such strong torque throughout the RPM band.

Belanger is one of the last few who still build each system by hand and check for proper fitment before shipping (the good-ol way!). Their header system is, by far, the one we install most on our customers' Vipers.

-Wayne (LTHL VPR)

OP
OP
J

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, its good to know they are carefully built and designed, they are certainly the best fitting headers I've fitted to anything. Are there any formulae used to work out the size and positioning of the squeezers/pickles?