Belching Noise

Mr. Soles

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2009 ACR. I've had it for 2 years. The car makes a belching/popping/farting noise after the car has been turned off. The noise will happen between 1 and 2 minutes after engine it shut off. It has been at 2 dealerships and they can't figure it out. Has this happen to anyone or any ideas about what it could be?

OP
OP
M

Mr. Soles

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wish it was me, but I read that there could be up to 10 possible problems and any popping noise coming from a car means that something is going wrong or has gone wrong, according to some car repair sources. The octane I use is 93 which is what is recommended. So I guess no one has had this problem of a popping noise coming from somewhere in the car after it is turned off. The noise will occurred after driving about 15 minutes and turned the car off. The VCA member with the jokes, well I do have a sense of humor, but I do need some real answers.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you been able to pinpoint the location at all, like to the brake booster or something else that might be under vacuum? Or is it actually coming from the exhaust pipes or something?

Thom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe its your cooling system. When you turn your engine off, heatsoak causes the coolant to expand, forcing coolant and gaseous vapor out the radiator cap into the recovery bottle. Maybe this is what you're hearing. A tiny head gasket leak might make this normal occurence more noticeable.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Both my 94' and my 98' make noises similar to a person with bad gas and it's from the crazy cooling system purging air and moving antifreeze around after the car is off for a few minutes. There's a separate reservoir that is constantly exchanging fluid after the engine is off. Mine sometimes make these noises for hours. My 94’ will do this for an entire day. Without hearing your noise, I don't know if it's the same. Can you record it? It sounds like it might be same thing though.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea. Like Klama said: Could be the water/coolant. My Gen2 let's out a Gulp/burp everyonceinawhile while cooling down. She's been flushed with the dealership vacuum tool so there shouldn't be much air in there and she runs at normal temps so i just leave it be.

OP
OP
M

Mr. Soles

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The tech at the dealership thought it was some type of vacuum issue and he did run some test. The answer they came up with the gas cap did not make a proper seal. Once I got the car home the noise happen again. I will mention the gasket, because he thought it might be the coolant. Have not been able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from either.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Really don't bother worrying about the head gasket, it's a steel MLS gasket that's bulletproof, I doubt it's that. But if you want to be put at ease, before they tear into your engine, have them do a compression test first, and I'm sure they will find nothing wrong there. If it's the coolant, then it's normal. It's always under pressure. Here's a way to "possibly" test for it. If your GEN4 is similar, you should have an upper radiator hose on the drivers side. If you can get to this easily, then squeeze it with both hands several times to slush the coolant around. If it makes the same similar noise as you do this or immediately after, then that's the noise and there is no need for concern. It could just be that you have some excessive air in there. If it bothers you so much, have them vacuum flush your antifreeze.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tech at the dealership thought it was some type of vacuum issue and he did run some test. The answer they came up with the gas cap did not make a proper seal. Once I got the car home the noise happen again. I will mention the gasket, because he thought it might be the coolant. Have not been able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from either.

Seems like one easy test that you could do is remove the gas cap when you park it; preferably not in the garage. Then listen for the sound. At least that will demonstrate whether it is caused by that system or not, I think.

Reaction score
Assuming it is not the cooling system, the most common noises are exhaust system cool down, especially the manifolds as they contract. This is more common with the Gen 4 than earlier models. On the ACR, the two-piece rotors will also occasionally make a popping sound as they cool down. Of course none of those would be a "belching" sound per se, but those are your more common culprits for post shutdown noises.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Both my Vipers make the popping noises from the exhaust and other stuff cooling down. But the belching noises sound like a stomach with Diarrhea and come from my hoses and reservoir bottles.

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
By the description of the noise I would also guess its the coolent system and you could have some air in there. One thing you can do that is easy is get it running for about 5-10 mins so the coolent is hot and circulating. On the top of the water pump there is a bleeder valuve. Yu can put a small hose on in and run it to a water bottle or smililar catch, crack the bleeder valuve with the motor running and see if any air comes out, if it does you have to bleed it until you start getting coolent out the hose and no more air. Pretty simple to DIY , and it can't hurt to do this anyway.

OP
OP
M

Mr. Soles

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information. I am taking it back to dealer on Saturday and I will mention some of the feedback I received from VCA members.