Best Battery for Viper??

RickViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im going to buy my 2nd. battery for my 94 RT, what do you guys recomend better, *****.. staying outside a restaurant without battery!!! which one its the best recomended?? so i can stop spending every six months.. and whats the CCA recomended??

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone says Sears Gold series...or was it Platinum. Ahh it was Platinum. It has 880 CCA at 0 degrees F vs the Gold CCA 795.

I replaced my old battery with a Gold series and only get to run it on the weekends...so far *knock on wood* it has been very reliable and fires up every time.

One of the best warranties as well. So far, I am very happy with it.

OP
OP
R

RickViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
how about optima batteries, yellow, or red? or just a waste of money?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Wal-mart MAXX battery also has a 3-year replacement policy and in fact I just had to replace one of mine after two years. Didn't pay a dime :D :D

OP
OP
R

RickViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
explain.. please.. using optima might been my problem?? not good¿¿

OP
OP
R

RickViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.. im really thinking on buying the gold duralast, it has 3 years of warranty in auto zone i think it sounds good... and the CCA sounds good too... the price its not bad eaither.. hope i get the correct one haha...

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
explain.. please.. using optima might been my problem?? not good¿¿

I think Chad (V10SpeedLuver) had several Optima's go bad on his Viper. Search for 'Optima' or 'Battery' and I'm sure several threads on Optima's will appear.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AutoZone.com | Shopping | Parts | Starting & Charging | Battery

O.E. group size: 78 *** 800 cold cranking Amps (1000 cranking Amps) *** -> 3 year free replacement

That's what I use. I'm now on my 4th one, with all being replaced for free with no questions asked. I'm currently on my longest lasting battery. The reason? I drive my Viper about 2-4 times a month, sometimes longer between drives. The last time I replaced my battery, I ordered the Battery Tender from JonB. I honestly think this is the reason my battery has finally lasted longer than 9 months. Hell, I thought I had a grounding issue.

So whatever you decide to go with, I'd invest in a battery tender. Cheap insurance that will hopefully prevent you from being stranded. On the bright side, I can now change the battery out in about 30 minutes start to finish, which included me driving the battery to AutoZone to get the replacement. :rolaugh:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Chad (V10SpeedLuver) had several Optima's go bad on his Viper. Search for 'Optima' or 'Battery' and I'm sure several threads on Optima's will appear.

Awwww, you guys do listen to what I say (at least some of the time). I feel so loved :D

With that said, I wouldn't trust a POS Optima to power a TV remote.

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/608699-optima-batteries-can-kiss-my.html

In my opinion, I'd say Interstate. I have one in my DD and its been great, even when the car was riced out and had all sorts of electronic gadgets running off the battery.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had problems when I first bought my car. had some work done on it and put in a optima yellow top. So far not a problem again. Been less than a year though, so we will see.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That's what I use. I'm now on my 4th one, with all being replaced for free with no questions asked. ........ On the bright side, I can now change the battery out in about 30 minutes start to finish, which included me driving the battery to AutoZone to get the replacement.

Wow. GREAT DEAL, quite the testimonial. Choose and buy a crappy battery, virtually guaranteed to FAIL, and get the privilige to pick up, remove and re-install 4 replacements for 'free' during the ONE warrantee period?

This topic is eminently SEARCHABLE...... I have seasonal storage issues sine 1993, and own the MOST problematic year (96.5) and I prefer SEARS DIE-HARD GOLD or PLATINUM. (never an Optima). Of course, a Battery Tender is an absolute MUST.

Last edited:

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With that said, I wouldn't trust a POS Optima to power a TV remote.

In my opinion, I'd say Interstate. I have one in my DD and its been great, even when the car was riced out and had all sorts of electronic gadgets running off the battery.[/quote]

Good thing we all don't have the same battery or we would all be in trouble.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not had to replace my battery at all because i keep a trickle charger on it at all times when not being driven.
with a car not being driven each day a battery will not last as long.

That's what I use. I'm now on my 4th one, with all being replaced for free with no questions asked. I'm currently on my longest lasting battery. The reason? I drive my Viper about 2-4 times a month, sometimes longer between drives. The last time I replaced my battery, I ordered the Battery Tender from JonB. I honestly think this is the reason my battery has finally lasted longer than 9 months. Hell, I thought I had a grounding issue.

So whatever you decide to go with, I'd invest in a battery tender. Cheap insurance that will hopefully prevent you from being stranded. On the bright side, I can now change the battery out in about 30 minutes start to finish, which included me driving the battery to AutoZone to get the replacement. :rolaugh:

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a big Sears fan but I have good luck with Diehard batteries. I just replaced the original battery in my 02 ACR with a Platinum diehard a few weeks ago.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. GREAT DEAL, quite the testimonial. Choose and buy a crappy battery, virtually guaranteed to FAIL, and get the privilige to pick up, remove and re-install 4 replacements for 'free' during the ONE warrantee period?

This topic is eminently SEARCHABLE...... I have seasonal storage issues sine 1993, and own the MOST problematic year (96.5) and I prefer SEARS DIE-HARD GOLD or PLATINUM. (never an Optima). Of course, a Battery Tender is an absolute MUST.

From information gathered from other local Viper owners, it doens't matter what battery I use, as they ALL will fail me with my driving habits. Like I said, I drive mine just a few times a month, if that. My advice to everyone asking about a replacement battery is to buy one with a long warranty and a battery tender. $90 for a battery with a 3 year warranty that resets to 3 years after every replacement with a new one isn't bad. After getting my battery tender from you, I have yet to have any battery issues and am on the longest stretch yet on the same battery. :)

If I were to drive it every weekend, I think it would be fine, IMO.

VCA Member
Reaction score
1997 GTS always attached to a Battery Tender has never been replaced.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
.......... it doens't matter what battery I use, as they ALL will fail me with my driving habits. ...........After getting my battery tender from you, I have yet to have any battery issues and am on the longest stretch yet on the same battery..

Thats a great Tender endorsement, Thanks ! (Still not too sure about the battery!)

OP
OP
R

RickViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some have done OK with the RED OPTIMA... but wich one?? so people will know, there is one the D34/78 of 1000 AMPS.. and the other RED OPTIMA its the 75/25 of 910 AMPS, hope you guys can help with that info so we can help others.. Thanks and have a great VIPER RIDE WEEKEND!!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do have an Optima Red Top in the Z06 and have not had any issues with it but I am religious with using the Battery tender on both my Viper and Vette. :dunno:

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a red Optima in my 97 that I got from the factory here in Denver back in 1998. I keep it on a Deltran Battery Tender when not driving the car. It is still working just fine.
Jerry