Best Battery for Viper??

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got an interstate in mine. I got 2 years out of it and it needs replaced. I'm going Sears Diehard next.

I was told the problems with our batteries is that they are mounted 90 degrees in the wrong direction. When we jump on it or break hard it puts stress on the plates. Being that the plates are parallel to the force being put on them the flex and degrade quickly. This especially happens with all batteries which the plates are attached to the top of the battery and hang down. Now the sears Diehard batteries are attached on the bottom so the battery will not see as much slosh and stress when breaking or accelerating. I'm wondering if there is enough room to turn our batteries 90 degrees like most vehicles on the road.:dunno:

It looks like there is room to do this. Wonder if anyone did this yet?
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is enough room to turn our batteries 90 degrees like most vehicles on the road.:dunno:

It looks like there is room to do this. Wonder if anyone did this yet?

I highly doubt it can be turned 90 degrees. There'd be no way to secure it.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My battery in my BMW is mounted in the same manner as the GenII Viper (except they were nice enough to drop in the trunk). It's 8 years old and still going and I drive the BMW just as hard as my Viper (maybe harder). No problems after 8 years.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fully disagree I have used optima in my 94 RT/10 and have gotten a good six years with zero problems, no tender and sitting for several months at a time in Las Vegas heat that is known for killing batteries. I would recomend Optima red top for any viper owner. I say its user error in your case.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jerry Scott[CO];2604333 said:
I have a red Optima in my 97 that I got from the factory here in Denver back in 1998. I keep it on a Deltran Battery Tender when not driving the car. It is still working just fine. Jerry

Jerry, either I am an idiot-savant, or............

As I recall you may have been the FIRST Gen-2 application with an Optima known to exist. There were some terminal clearance or other issues at first? Did they even invite you to mule the fit issues? it was right after the Electric Car World Championships that I ran... I think thats when you hooked up w/ them......It is sponsored by Optima and I met their factory reps in 96 who actually advised AGAINST an Optima in a Viper! Remind me how your 'Optima event' unfolded....it had some drama. Right?

GG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Mopar Gold 60 month finally croaked yesterday on my 94...after 7 1/2 years with Deltran tender...I only drive it 3-4 times a month.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21