Best clutch setup

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure ya'll saw this one coming...I need to know if there is a proven clutch setup for a stock 03 SRT/10. Or better yet, any to stay away from. I searched and couldn't come up with much (I always get the same identical results when I search on here for some reason). I'm thinking of doing the works as I got approval from the dealer that no matter what I put in it the warranty would only be voided if that part caused the failure. I know that opens me up to opinion from them, but I am not gonna spend $1400 on a OEM kit when I can get SPEC or Centerforce for half that and still have a shot at warranty repair. I still can't believe I'm having to pay for this...but oh well.

I've had good experience with SPEC in the past in my Mach 1 Mustang pushing about the same hp as my Viper. Stage II with lightweight flywheel worked well. So, I'm thinking about the same here, but not sure if anyone has had any problems with it.

Fidanza lightweight flywheel, Stage II clutch/pp, TOB, pilot bearing, and slave cyl. Would that be a decent setup? My only other decision is to stay with stock flywheel or not. They can turn the stock one or I can replace it. If the ~20lbs difference doesn't mean a lot it would save me about $500.

Thoughts???

Last edited:

Kirkinsb

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Subscribed. I am interested in this too. My 2003 is pretty much stock. I want to be prepared. How many miles did yours have and did you race or drag race launch often. Mine is not raced or dragged. Just my daily driver!! Just! haha.

zombiesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
idk about for a viper but my mcleod twin disk in my mustang is one of the nicest clutches ive ever used. extremely smooth engagement for a clutch that can handle 1200hp and i have nothing but good things to say about it. you would think it was a stock clutch at how light and easy it is to use. customer service was excellent as well

OP
OP
C

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't race or launch it hard. I 'play' with it from time to time, but mostly cruising and car shows. I liked the response the same setup above gave my Mach 1. I talked to Jon at Parts Rack and he gave me some good insight and helped me decide to go with it. I went with the SPEC Stage 2+ and the lightweight Fidanza flywheel in case I add any power in the future. I don't ever see getting above 800 hp in my plans with the car, and that would be only to have a little fun with. If I wanted something to race and beat the heck out of I would have bought another 'stang or similar, not a Viper. Although they are bred to run I can't see destroying such a rare piece of history by beating the hell out of it. But don't get me wrong...those that do have their own reason and I'm sure enjoy it fully. Some can even do it without needing major repairs. I on the other hand can't even leave dinner and drive home without exploding the tranny....just my luck!

Last edited:

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Really, the stock clutch is a very good setup. It will take a ton of abuse and keep on kicking. That being said, I like the Spec 3 6 puk setup. Grabs and goes. Has a little shutter to it, but not bad at all. On the aluminum flywheel, you will need a special one. Your flywheel in the 2003 has tone blocks which is what the PCM uses to for crank position sensor. The 2003-2004 is just the odd year out.

Check your ***,

OP
OP
C

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Fidanza I bought has the position sensor pick up. I was told about the 03 and half of 04 year models having this issue. SPEC is working on a solution for theirs(some issue of bucking around 5000 rpm), but the Fidanza is supposed to work well. But I'm used to having problems That doesn't surprise me at all... you know how many times I hear "Oh! You got one of THOSE??!!! Well that changes things a bit!". Seriously, I once bought an alternator for a 85 Nissan 200SX. He laid the alternator on the table and was ringing it up at ~$85. Then he stopped and looked up from the computer and asked me if I had intermittent wipers. I said yeah. He took the part back and grabbed another one and said "that makes a difference on your car. This one is $137! Really???!!! What kind of wipers require a higher amp, special application alternator??? Just my luck...ha

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel your pain, when I was ordering my mail order bride everything I wanted cost extra.;)

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I seem to have a knack for purchasing vehicle with one year only options as well. Have a 67 Dart which I've quickly found looks a lot like a 68/69, but does many things different like windshield seals, window cranks, trim pieces, etc. I have an 04 as well, so I'm curious which flywheel I might have. Luckily no problems with the clutch so far after 86,000 miles (unless the previous owners replaced it in the 46,000 they put on it). Debating what I wanted to do when/if I ever get around to needing to replace it.