Best plugs for Supercharger?

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan
I recently fitted a set of Denso Iridium IK16 plugs to my N/A GTS. This is as recommended by Denso. Initially I noticed a good light throttle smoothness, and good throttle response. However after about 300 miles highway driving and a few 1/4 mile passes the performance seemed to drop, showing as a SOTP feel and a deterioration of times. Another 300 miles of highway had the motor running poorly at light throttle. A change back to std Champions cured the problem. The IK16 plugs project less far into the chamber and I wonder if they are firing in some kind of boundary layer which affects the combustion process, particularly under light throttle lean mixture conditions.
BTW, hurry up with that supercharger
smile.gif

David

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan,

I didn't use the following plugs on my Viper, but I did use them on an aftermarket turbocharged engine. I had a Saturn SL2 -- a nice but powerless American compact. I put a turbocharger on it using a custom exhaust manifold with boost set around 5 to 7 PSI. A/F was handled by an add-on fuel pressure regulator. I initially used standard plugs a few heat ranges colder than stock. I found that the gaps would quickly burn open and the electrodes wouldn't last long -- even when the ceramic insulators looked like the plug was too cold (dark brown to black). I switched to Beru Silverstone plugs (available at www.nology.com) at a standard stock heat range. Those plugs used silver electrodes to better conduct away the heat and they lasted about 30K miles. I gapped the plugs down to 28 thousandths to insure that the air/fuel mix would "light" under boost. I only had to re-gap those plugs once during that time. I did try their fancy Nology spark plug wire (it basically acts as a capacitor for a better spark discharge), but didn't notice much improvement. I guess that figures seeing that I was using such a small gap. I believe the standard gap for that car was around 40 thousandths.

Hope this helps.
-David