Help - Engine making weird noise above 4000 rpm near full load

sbviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 98 Viper GTS. Near end of my last track event it started making a weird noise above 4000 rpm near full load. No noise at all below 4000 rpm even at full load. This is very repeatable.

video link (not my account):
https://www.facebook.com/1000227137...886538033/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

Notes: Has ~50k miles. I have a roe supercharger set at 5 psi. Have had for years. I have changed spark plugs, no help. If anyone has seen this issue before please let me know. Took it to a local shop and they couldn't figure it out either- they recommended taking to a place with dyno to make easier to reproduce in a shop setting. Also interested in a good place nearby to get the issue fixed (I live 45 minutes south of Indianapolis). Can sometimes get to happen briefly during neutral throttle snap, but is very sporadic.

Last edited:

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to tell exactly from the video, but, I occasionally get a similar sort of noise from my Gen 2. Ted May (very experienced Viper tech) traced that to a resonance (rattling) in the heat shielding around the side pipes. Try thumping the rockers with the your sneakers and see if you hear the same sound.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala