Best replacement battery?

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What battery have you guys used to replace you Viper battery? I saw a post regarding dry cell batteries, but can't remember the company and con't find the post. Your help is appreciated.
You must be registered for see images

Reaction score
Cut the terminal and you may lose contact with the Cells, as the side terminal connects to the cells via the top post. Next problem if the connection becomes high in resistance due to cutting to close to the side to top connection you will have a hot spot next to your fuel tank - sound like a good idea? Do you like the idea of a warranty? I suggest you call Optima as ask what they think of cutting the top post! BAD IDEA! Buy a Delco! Call Dan Cragin for the P/N.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Optima 75-35-925 works just fine in most Vipers without modification, except Fred Kinder's car which has a battery trey that is welded out of factory specification. A few Vipers have a battery trey that is not tall enough, but in most Vipers it works fine. Buy one from Reco Battery in Denver for $99 plus shipping. Phone is: 303-893-9324.

Reaction score
The Optima may or may not fit depending on the Battery tray location. The tray location was not made to fit the Optima! If you want the Optima measure the tray height first. What a joy, ship a battery a 1000 miles and find it will not fit, Jerry's advise? I did not know Jerry had discussed the tray location with Team Viper to determine it was out of spec if the Optima did not fit! Sounds like B.S. to my. BUYER BEWARE!

Reaction score
Hello Fred and Jerry. Having installed two Optima batteries, I can agree with both of you. The first was on my former '96 GTS, using the larger one. The second was on my '99 ACR, using the new type. I only had to file(not cut)a small amount off of the negative post for frame clearance. The positive cleared by a lot. I dressed up the post so you cannot see any difference. The retailer is aware of it, agrees it is no problem, and told me to return it if I had any problems. I don't know why Optima cannot make the posts 1/16" shorter, so there will not be an issue. Anyway, I wanted the security of the Optima, so the warranty issue was secondary. No venting due to high Gs or overcharging. Holds charge much longer, and recharges faster. So, I guess my point is: We shouldn't have to worry about the warranty and safety issue if the battery is suppose to fit our cars. But it is easily(and safely)fixed. If the $100 we may loose( if the battery goes bad)is an issue, consider all the real big money we spend on accessories, events, schools, upgrades, and the purchase of the Viper(s). The price of a quality battery is chump change, compared to everything else. Sometimes we loose perspective. This is only my opinion, and I respect both of you. Keep the good info coming from both sides.

Chuck G.

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found out the hard way that you shouldn't cut the posts off the Optima. After getting mine from Reco, I discovered that it wasn't going to fit very well. I really wasn't comfortable with shaving the post only to have it a fraction of an inch from the frame rail with just a thin plastic cap as an insulator. So I made the hasty, uninformed decision to cut the posts. It took about 1 "ohno" second to discover the error of my ways. The post is NOT solid lead, but a 'cap' that is pressed onto a lead bar that goes to the cells. Using a voltmeter I determined that there was a .1V drop between this bar and the lead ring that surrounds it. That was with NO LOAD! Who knows what the drop would have been under a few hundred amp load. Needless to say, that was a $125 mistake.

My $.02 (saved you $124.98!)

OP
OP
K

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I have decided to go with the Optima 73/35/925 battery. Sounds like this is the only Optima that will really fit the Viper without modification. I tried locally (Dallas) but no one carries this model in stock, so hello Reco Battery!!

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kurt, we have installed the red top Optima in one of our 96 GTS Coupes. I would have had slight interference between the battery post and the frame so rather than shave the battery post I found that I could bend the tray mounting arms slightly, enough that the battery would clear. The post that is close is the negative one so slight contact with the frame isn't a problem - the negative cable goes right to the frame anyway.

The battery in our second 96 GTS is due to be replaced soon - I will again use the red top Optima. By the way, the Batteries Plus chain carries the Optima - I was able to get it locally for $99.95.

I hope that this helps!!!

Reaction score
I like the performance (battery life) from the Optima and have one with a cut and soldered post on my 96. But I feel that it should be made clear that on some cars the battery tray location will not allow the battery to fit. The best solution (which I will do on my ACR) if you want an Optima is to move (lower) the tray to allow for frame clearance. Cutting the post is a poor solution if you expose the center Inner post, in my opinion. The connection between the side terminals and center post is not designed to allow cutting of the top post. I spent a couple weeks communication with Optima about their battery and the side post connection design. As a result of my installation problems several Optima batteries were tested for current supply from the top and side post. From our testing the top post provides more current! In my opinion the connection to the side post is a poor design. If Optima wanted to make a battery for the Viper it would have made a side terminal only Group 78 (Exide and Delco. The battery they make is generic in size but the acid cell technology is good. It uses lead plates wrapped with a glass mat that absorbs electrolyte. Jerry, Jon please lobby Optima to make a side post only battery and we will have a good choice for all Vipers. Until then Buyer beware!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been lobbying Champion, who is one of Optima's Licensees', to make a battery for the Viper that is the correct, side terminal only. They have had requests from owners of several other vehicles of much larger production runs that have the same problem (on GM products) as we do. Champion felt they may be making the battery sometime next year.

Exide has also licensed the Optima technology. You'd think we would have some pull there, but Bob is apparently busy reworking the company

OP
OP
K

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay guys - thanks for all the help. After taking several more measurements, I decided to purchase the 800U (red top) instead of the slightly smaller 75/35. Guess what - it fits perfectly in every way!!! I even have about 3/16 left on top. I guess I am one of the lucky ones - no modifications required.

Now if I could only get it started.
I know that this has been discussed, but can't seem to get the car to start for more than 3-4 seconds before it quits running. I think that this is due to the fact that the computer is shutting it down (thinks that it is being stolen?). Funny thing, I can't get the door pops to work now with my key FOB - this also locks and unlocks the car. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32