Best Spark Plugs

Bobby Likis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recently, I read a post that asked which spark plug might be best for Vipers (more or less stock -- like mine). I stated that I would soon have two guests from Champion as co-hosts of our national radio program who could help answer the question. As these two gentlemen are directly involved with R&D and racing at Champion, it figures they should pretty well know their stuff.

They were Brent Berman, Champion's National Technical Director, and John Glover, Champion's Motorsports Manager of and liaison to F-1, NHRA, and NASCAR. Both were terrific on air and shared a wealth of information with our audience and me. I learned that this year there have been (8) 1st place NASCAR wins with cars using Champion plugs (and many other well known racers as well) and also that four different NASCAR makes are using Champion... interesting stuff to say the least.

Brent suggested that I use Champion's Platinum Plug #3034, which is lettered RC12PEC5 on its porcelain. Interestingly enough, he also said not to use anti-seize as the plug was coated during manufacture. In the event that you feel you must use anti-seize, he suggested one (1) very small daub (the size of a ball point pen's click-on plunger to the threads side). He highly recommended cleaning old threads and proper torque of 15-20 ft-lbs. Proper torque is essential for proper heat range.

He went on to say that today’s engines are designed with its plugs extended well into the combustion chamber, which exposes its center electrode, porcelain, and ground wire to extreme heat. This makes proper torque essential so that heat can be transferred into the cylinder head otherwise the ground wire can cause detonation.

I hope this information is helpful and should you want to hear the entire broadcast, you will be able to stream it from our web site ( www.carclinicnetwork.com ) later this week. The second hour will be available in our archives (dated 6/22/02 2nd hour) or for more information you can call Champion's Tech line at 800-325-8886 go to http://www.federalmogul.com/aftermarket.com

Thank you.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Great info, Bobby. I will be interested to hear from other Viper owners who have used the RC12PEC5's ...especially as I have been in a change-the-plugs mood lately. Many thanks !!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte