Best Street Tire with SSR's?

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have decided to get SSR's for the price and for how light they are...

What would be the best tire to go with????

Remember I have 3.55's and a paxton....

I am not really sure if I would like a drag radial because of the cornering ability...

I would still like to haul **** around corners...

What do you guys think???? Maybe PS2's?

Joe

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the PS2 on the street. Really like them a lot. They don't sell 345 widths in 18 inch sizes, but the 335's fit my SSR (13 inch width) just fine. I run 295 width up front.

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you show me a pic of them on?... I am having second thoughts about having these as my daily rim......

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I run the following on my Paxton car:

Fronts, PS2's. 295's fit the 11-inch SSR front wheels better than 275.

Rears, Kumho Ecsta V-700's in 335's.

This combination works very well on the street.

Dan

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
THose who love you dont want you to mis-match your front-rear tires. Really good drivers can assess and correct for the normal steering variances, but in PANIC mode or at the limits, they DONT HANDLE THE SAME......... We have dismantled a number of totals and are surprised how many have MIS-MATCHED TIRES !!!!

PS2s are great, but no where near as sticky as:

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup. We now have the 345-30-18 back in stock. Very sticky, great handling. Last 50% as long as PS2s....but for the same price as PS2. CUPS = 285 or 295 FRONT option for SSRs. ALL IN STOCK, MT-BAL-FREE. NO TAX. Kumhos are $300/set less, and 335 not 345. CUPS have better road-hazard protection than Kumho.. Ship in 24 hours with PS2, or Kumho, or Cups. Please call ? THANKS JOE 8-10 pix on this thread: http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=599498&highlight=Wheels

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
THose who love you dont want you to mis-match your front-rear tires. Really good drivers can assess and correct for the normal steering variances, but in PANIC mode or at the limits, they DONT HANDLE THE SAME......... We have dismantled a number of totals and are surprised how many have MIS-MATCHED TIRES !!!!

PS2s are great, but no where near as sticky as:

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup. We now have the 345-30-18 back in stock. Very sticky, great handling. Last 50% as long as PS2s....but for the same price as PS2. CUPS = 285 or 295 FRONT option for SSRs. ALL IN STOCK, MT-BAL-FREE. NO TAX. Kumhos are $300/set less, and 335 not 345. CUPS have better road-hazard protection than Kumho.. Ship in 24 hours with PS2, or Kumho, or Cups. Please call ? THANKS JOE 8-10 pix on this thread: http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=599498&highlight=Wheels

Jon,

I am running SSRs with Sport Cups (295 f, 345 r) which I bought from you. Love the added performance! One question though; I had my car at Pocono recently and seemed to have an oversteer. Car was very twitchy in the turns. I was running the tire pressures recommended on Tirerack's site (25 psi front and 28 rear, cold). I have not lowered the car or changed the alignment from stock. Would a re-alignment help to dial out the oversteer or can that be acheived with just tire pressure adjustments?

Thanks!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jon,....I am running SSRs with Sport Cups (295 f, 345 r) which I bought from you. Love the added performance! ........ Would a re-alignment help to dial out the oversteer or can that be acheived with just tire pressure adjustments? Thanks!

A performance alignment is just about the BEST money you can spend on a track-driven Viper. OE it comes hi-tech computer aligned to .001 inches for best tire wear, and best gas mileage. Flat Footed. Factory alignment develops a bit of understeer, so I am surprised at your result.

I suspect you can manage 'twitch' with tire pressure.....I hate to see you at 25 front cold on 295s. Id be 28F and 30R and TAKE PRESSURES and TEMPS after a few laps. But there is really no sub for a good performance (cornering) alighnment.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Alignment, yes.

25 is a bit low in front. Jon is correct again.

On the subject of mismatched tires front and rear, Jon is correct, you are better off with all four tires matching in a panic stop. 99% of the time for most of us, you will have no issues.

If you have a bunch of power or low gears and are tyring to get it to the ground, running stickier tires on the back will not give you any problems if you pay attention. Think of all the drag cars that do this. I have over 25,000 miles running Kumhos on the rear / Pilots or PS2's on the front of my Paxton car without issue. Keep in mind, the Viper likes to step out at the back under power. It won't do so nearly as easily under power with the sticky tires in the rear. About the worst thing that you'll get with this set up is understeer at the limit, which is much easier to handle than oversteer.

I do track my car and have been a drag racer for too many years to list here, so my car control skills may be a bit better than most.

Good luck,

Dan:usa:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang