Best Way to get off the Line?

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the best way to launch a stock 2001 GTS? What RPM will give you the best traction and best time to 60mph + 1/4 mile time?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Practice, practice, practice. Some people feather the clutch. I barely bring the rpms up, maybe to 900. I very lightly feather and leave the line very soft. My best 60' is 2.006. Bone stock, 98 RT/10. Not bad for Florida.

Remember there are some things you have no control over, like track prep.

BLS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy a set of John Prunner's Street legal slicks and skinnes... and then wind that snake up to 4500 RPM and send it!

PS - Buy a set of heavy duty halfshafts while your at it.

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First off, Buy the BTR (Tom's) Video!
I got a copy of it at the Gateway VCA Christmas party's club auction.
Lots of great info on it.

What has worked best for me (in the video) is to come off the line about 1500 rpm and ease the clutch in quickly (avoiding wheelspin) and floor it at that point.

Best 60 ft for me on Mxx3's to date is a 1.75,
(the run was a 12.30 @ 112 mph).

Buy The Video (DVD), you'll be glad you did!
BURNOUT.gif

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Rich above, Tom's video is very informative especially if you don't know how to drag race at all. Shows you how the tree works, burnout's, launching, tires, etc. I'm still not very good so can't offer much advice. Best thing to do is find a isolated road and practice a few launches before going to the track.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do a pretty good dry burnout and launch at a very low RPM, just over idle. I let the clutch out smooth and easy as I gently hit the gas. It is difficult to get it right. But when it works it really works. The time slip in my sig shows my 1.44 60' on stock OEM tires.

I did not find that street practice was of much use as the traction difference was huge. But it is a lot of fun for free...

If you do not have much experience on a drag strip Tom's video is a great place to start!

Ben Gratt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

I think we pretty much figured out in the past that the 1.44 60' time was a glitch in the timing system for that run. There's no way a pretty stock Viper on stock tires can run that type of 60'. Even high 9 second Vipers on slicks don't do any better than that.

Once again, comparing your timeslip to mine:

Bob Ben

60' : 1.447 1.867
330 : 4.783 5.142
1/8 : 7.476 7.823
MPH : 92.43 92.16
1000: 9.765 10.121
1/4 : 12.085 12.057
MPH : 117.86 116.61

Most of our times line up pretty good. For example, it took you 2.289 seconds to go from the 1/8 to the 1000 foot mark. It took me 2.298 seconds to go the same distance. Most of our times line up well this way, but if you look at the last set of times, you will see a problem. It took you 2.32 seconds to go from 1000 to the 1/4, but it only took me 1.936 seconds to go the same distance. No way did my car beat yours by almost 4 tenths in the last 320 feet. Especially when you see that your MPH was a bit higher than mine. This tells me that there was definitely a computer glitch on that run. Your true 60' time was probably in the low 1.80's.

No big deal, but I just don't want Fred to feel totally inadequate when he can't duplicate your remarkable 1.44 60' time. For what it's worth, I usually do a quick burnout (no water) to clean up the tires, and launch around 1000-2500 RPMS and slip the clutch to get the best traction. Still, track prep is very important, and without it, you'll never get a decent 60' time.

Ben.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben,

I have no problem agreeing that there was something odd about my slip. But there is no denying that it was a pretty good run for a rookie any way you slice it. And it was a great launch. Completely unlike any other one I have done.

I am really looking forward to warmer weather and a chance to make some more runs. I would love to have some 1.8's that resulted in 11.9's.

Fred should feel real good if he can get a 60' under 2.0 and a 1/4 mile time under 12.3

Track prep is certainly key. The track where I ran that slip had just been resurfaced and there were several rails running mid 8's that day laying down some good rubber on top of it.
smile.gif

MW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Blue">Low rpm launches resulted in unpredictable wheel hop for me. with BFG drags at 30psi they like 2500-3000, I suppose it lets them break loose a little bt still a nice smooth leave. A 1000-1500 it must be trying to grab and wheels hops-not a good feeling!</FONT c>

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Welch:
Fred,

Spend 45.00 for my DVD on drag racing your Viper. It will show you how to get the most out of your radials and slicks for the best launch possible in either configuration.

Best of luck,

Tom Http://btrviper.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried to buy that months ago & nothing would come up on your web site. The main page came up fine but I couldn't click on anything. Just tried again & got the same thing. Maybe it's Netscape??
confused.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960