Black chroming for wheels?

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe they chrome the wheels like normal and then powdercoat them with a tinted clear. There is a gorgeous Bumblebee on the board that has his done. Don't recall his name though. I believe he said the black chrome powdercoat was $150-200 per wheel.

Good luck.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a pic of this car, I will try to upload and post. If memory serves me, he goes by Wiseasp.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here you go.
5582IM000139_a.jpg

OP
OP
F

FrankTHutchens

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Black chroming for wheels?

I'm thinking of maybe Speedstars. $750 for chrome via JonB for example, then another $600-$800 to put black on top of the chrome? I don't think I'd want a chrome edge on the rim like that bumblebee.. maybe it'd be possible to go straight to the black powder coating ?

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Not sure what color your car is, but I had a black BMW M6 that I powdercoated the chrome wheels black (they were 5 spoke wheels). I had some people like it and quite a few (including my wife) that did not like it. Black wheels on a black car is just too much black. `Chrome always looks good, but black powdercoat is not liked by everyone. But it is your car and of course, do as you please. JMHO.

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Speaking of BMW's, the last M5's had black chrome wheels that were awesome.

WickedV

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This question may sound a little bit silly,
but is there a difference between 'black chroming' and 'anodizing' a wheel?
Thanks in advance!! :eek:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I'm correct.. chroming or powdercoating is applied over the surface of aluminum, while anodizing involves tinting the metal at the molecular level.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score

I have a set of black chrome rims off a 95 Viper with the center caps for $700.00 if anyone is interested.

WickedV

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I'm correct.. chroming or powdercoating is applied over the surface of aluminum, while anodizing involves tinting the metal at the molecular level.

Thanks for the info!

wiseasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The black chrome wheels cost me about $1300 total. I did chrome them first then had the blackchrome applied to JUST the middle of the wheel. I left the outer edge chrome. Look at my gallery and I have some close-ups of the wheels.

Good Luck,
ROB :usa: