Blacked out Taillights on my 96 RT-10?

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I have an issue. I just bought this black 96 RT-10 and from a distance the blacked out taillights look very nice BUT up close you can see that the job was not done well and I have a lot of bubbles. Does anybody have experience with removing this crap and either doing it right or just leaving it off? It appears to be done with window tint as far as I can tell but I have zero experience with tint. Any info will help. Thanks.

Craig,

Last edited:

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its some type of film try heating it up with a heat gun or hair dryer. Should come right off. We use a chemical called "Rubber Cleaner" to clean the access off. If they were sprayed then I believe you can have them wetsanded and buffed. May have to retint if you go that route though.

OP
OP
N

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking the heat gun/hair dryer route myself just to see what would happen but I wanted to get some kind of confirmation. Thanks for the info.

Craig,

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have it re-done. Call Matt Chambers in TN. He did mine about 4 years ago and they still look perfect. :2tu:

what method did Matt use? Spray or film? can you pm me cost if you don't wanna post, or just ball park figure??? I wanna do mine too...
thanks...

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He sands it down and does a 3 step process. Does not use film. Not sure of the cost now, but check your *** for his phone number

Big Al

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just remember Vipers can stop faster than most cars. Do you really want to hide the fact your stopping for even a split second?
Tinted brake lights look cool but definatly not vey safe in my opinion.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on BigAl's comment.

Remindes me of the sportbike riders that replace their side mirrors with tinny stylish ones effectivly limiting their awarness of everything going on around them on the road and then also replace their turn signals with tiny led replacements making it harder for other motorists to be aware of what the bike is doing.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just remember Vipers can stop faster than most cars. Do you really want to hide the fact your stopping for even a split second?
Tinted brake lights look cool but definatly not vey safe in my opinion.

i agree here. a few years back i had my zo6 tail lights blacked and i had my buddy drive behind to see if he could see my brake lights good. hes a car guy and said he could see it ok, but hard in direct sunlight. he said someone not paying close attention or a little old lady might not see the brake lights.
i took them off. looked cool, but not at the sake of safety.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang