Bone Stock or Modify-Pros & Cons Wanted

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At a minimum get the exhaust changed just for the improved sound. Either cut out the rear muffler and replace with straight pipes or get the Corsa cat back system. Then get the smooth tubes & filters I would recommend Roe Racing. After that your going to have to change your name from BONE STOCK 2001 VIPER GTS
smile.gif

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats!!
I went with what is listed below...
and the cost was minimal.
tubes and filters under $100
the sub exhaust which sounds awesome was around $500
it just removes the garbage can size rear muffler with
straight pipe and nice chrome tips

also the skip shift is nice so you can go from 1st to 2nd
when the arrow is on instead of 1st to 4th
again a cheap upgrade around $65

on the interior check out the mgw website ...
i went with the satin finish on the knobs and shifter
it matches the door handles well....

why stay stock????? so the next owner can mod the car the way they want it...??? it is your car enjoy it!!!

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to throw your car around on a track, the absolute 1st thing to work on is the oiling system which allows the engine to ****/burn oil during hard braking.

The first time you experience this you will be terrified because you will have thought you blew your engine up! (white smoke out exhaust and knocking sound from oil induced detonation)

Next mod is BRAKES, BRAKES, BRAKES, ...

Min mod is Porsche brake deflectors.

Brake upgrades... there are so many and I haven't don't mine yet. Big decision though which system to go with. My selection criteria are pad and rotor costs since these are consumables.

Regarding HP:

I don't think minor HP improvements are worth the effort - major ones are.

I don't like nitrous because the bottle is always empty when you need it.

I like supercharging and NA modifieds.

If I wanted 600 rwhp, I would stick with NA.

If I wanted a lot more, then supercharing is the way to go.

However, on a road course, for me, HP is not the thrill, cornering and braking are. Drag racing, however, is HP HP HP.

...but the car is so superior totally stock! ...and I really get a kick out of that!

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, since no one else has mentioned it, rear end gears!

I have 3.45's and 3.55 are also pretty popular. Lot's of discussion on the 1/4 mile / track benefit (or perhaps lack thereof) in the archives, but for Seat-Of-The-Pants feel, gears are the most noticable HP modification I've made to my car (including filters/tubes, headers, side exhaust, VEC-1....)

Close second / third, in my opinion, are brakes and schooling (either more formal schools or just out with the local club(s)).

Oiling system / oil pan upgrade.

Better (read mechanical) gauges.

For me, cosmetic stuff is at the bottom - although I do like my 6 CD changer...

Obviously I'm pretty firmly in the "Modify" camp.

Enjoy!

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer bone stock. Here is my philosophy. If I had my choice between a bone stock, never been tampered with 1965 Shelby Cobra 427 or one that some unknown person modified I'd choose the unmodified one. The same applies to all my cars. Only mods I do will be ones I can easily change back, or that don't show upon inspection. My .02

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bone Stock

Driving School

Pro: never have a warranty issue. Get to learn how to actually USE all the power that the Viper offers out of the box. Vipers left bone stock keep a higher residual value. Plus there is nothing more gratifying than taking on a modified Viper, with your stock one, and actually beating IT!

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you enjoyed modding and playing with your C5, you'll probably enjoy modding your Viper as well. Many of the guys I know (including myself) who mod their cars, get as much enjoyment out of the tinkering and tuning as they do out of a related improvement in lap times.

I have installed a Corsa cat back system and Stoptech front brakes. There are certainly stock Viper owners who will beat me at the track. Good for them. Going to driver training events is a great recommendation, but I don't think that keeping my car stock and running it at the track is a particularly noble cause.

Jim

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Minimum modifications (performance) - smooth tubes and air filter - low cost, no problem to change back to stock
Minimum modifications (cosmetic) - new floor mats - the stock ones slide too much, again no problem to change back to stock
Minimum modifications (other) - locking gas cap - peace of mind, again no problem to change back to stock

I think any other changes get more subjective based on your planned use, interest, and desire not to be able to restore to stock, but frequent ones are the exhaust and cats to hi-flo, Some less frequent ones are carbon fibre interior appearance package (if that's your thing), snake-headed valve stem covers, and a skip-shift eliminator.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MODIFY,

Picture this;

You are at a traffic light with your stock sewing machine sounding 75K car and you get dusted by a MODIFIED honda on spray! He has a story to tell his grandkids......you die one day, leaving this planet with a humiliating loss forever entrenched in your memory.

Remember, you won't be able to take one penny with you when you depart this planet. Have all you can afford! End of story. Click on the link below for modifications that will give you, your Viper and your checkbook a warm, fuzzy feeling no matter who is along side of you!

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
You only live once...this is not a dress rehersal!
devil.gif
First thing to do is join the VCA if you haven't already. Good luck and enjoy your Viper whatever you decide on bone versus stock.
If you want more info. regarding my modifications let me know via personal e-mail.
ps traded my modified C4 for my Viper.