Boost tuner question...........

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On second thought Gerald, didn't jason say, at the start of this thread, that he ran a dyno and that he saw 60hp gains by spraying nitrous on the cooler in order to drop the temp?
Seems like that wouldn't have worked if the ECU was slow to react. What do you think about that?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder how much could be gained at the drags by having a switch that would cut off the field winding power to the alternator.
That way the alternator would just free wheel during your run.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder how much could be gained at the drags by having a switch that would cut off the field winding power to the alternator.

Old racers trick we would do. It does work. There was a kit for this very thing also, but I do not know if it is still made.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never ran an alternator in any of the stock cars I had. The battery would do the job all night.

I don't know why you would need a kit to do it. It's just one wire to a switch.

How much hp do you think an alternator uses? Couldn't be too much since it all has to come through the drive belt.

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree with your thoughts on that opnwide. I have seen common 50-75 RWHP increases with IC frosting systems (on imports no less) and although the AC compressor may take some power while under WOT, I firmly believe it would not take that much. As far as it going off under WOT, that of course would be bypass'ed but more importantly, is not the real issue. The IC would be getting frosted ALL THE TIME not just at WOT allowing a 'frost-soak' as opposed to the dreaded heat soak......

I believe NOS can cool an IC enough to make 50 extra HP, but I can't imagine an A/C system being efficient enough to cool an IC as much as NOS will without create as much if not more parasitic loss to the engine.

.02 =)

ceokris

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I could understand running the A/C just before a run, to cool the intake air, but not during the race. I think running the A/C clutch coil and compressor eat up more horsepower than would be generating by cooling intake temps during the run.

Also, about spraying cooled gases/liquids across the intercooler wouldn't benifit much unless you hit it before boost condition (very important). You have to factor in the amount of time it takes to actually cool down the intercooler exterior(aluminum), and then air inside the intercooler before it's under boost. I did a setup like this on my '87 rx7 turbo, and didn't see much of an increase unless I cooled the intercooler about 10 seconds before I went under boost for freeway driving. You'll get a lot more results sitting still like at a dyno, because you don't have the outside air temps flowing into the intercooler working against you heating up the same elements you are trying to cool say at 45mph. That's why I'd throw out the dyno results and am interested in track times. OR you could go with a liquid intercooler, and toss in a bunch of ice, or run your A/C to cool the water before runs. Liquid intercoolers prevent that spike of heat surge, but are heavier, and tend to retain heat under constant boost conditions, which arent very common.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CO2 is much cheaper and will achieve the same results when sprayed across an intercooler. Use a WOT/Arming switch so that it only operates when needed.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There is such a device available. Contact me via Email if your interested in pricing and availability.

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to someone today who runs high speed Rx7's, He actually made an air/freon intercooler and it actually works. He claimed to have seen -8 degree celcius intake air temps at its best. But the freon warmed up very quickly, and took a long time to cool back down again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte