borla headers and 02 sensors?

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have borla headers and the 02 sensor is mounted at the rear of the collector. my question is becouse i keep getting a "slow to respond" code for the 02 heaters. there is no extentions on the wires for the sensors, the wires are long enought to connect. has anyone else had this problem with these headers or any other aftermarket headers for that matter? i was lookingat the option of relocating the sensor closer to the heads, on cylenders 5, and 6. any input is greatly appriciated.

thanks in advance,
gotv10 :confused:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The location should not be the issue, more then likely it is a bad O2. Is a code thrown for both banks?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have had this problem since the header mod, then the issue is the location of the sensor. This was a problem with the aftermarket headers for the later model year Vipers where the sensor would not heat up quick enough before the O2 sensor test time limit was up. The solution was to, as you have figured out, move the O2 sensor closer by relocating onto a primary. THe problem with that solution was that it only monitored one cylinder, which many had issue. The soultion to that was a quick response O2, which Dan Cragin carries, or Sean Roe's solution which was to drill bigger holes on the O2 sensor to allow in more gasses, thereby allowing you to leave the sensor in the collector.

If you have been fine for a while since the mod, then suddenly now it's a problem, then it very well could be a bad O2.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could drill out the holes that surround the O2 sensor to let it get hotter faster. There was a post with the proper size drill bit(1/4" I think). Do a search for it. If that doesn't work you can then buy new O2 sensors.

OP
OP
G

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well guys i bought the car with the headers on it, and have hade the code since i got it, figuring it was no big deal to fix. yes it is setting the code for sensor 1 on both banks, and i have tried new sensors. any more advice with this info is much appriciated, and i will give the drilling a shot.

thanks so much,
gotv10

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, since you now have two sets of O2s, I think that drilling would be something you might as well give a shot.

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you getting codes 135 and 155? If so these are the codes for the front sensors. If you are getting codes for the rears, you can get O2 sims as well from summit racing that will plug right in. Or you can drill them out. Be carefull though because if you go to far you ruin them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cerevo