How does the 06 speed sensor work?

Mattias

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all.
I am starting to reach the finish line in my cobra replica build (based on a viper SRT-10 2006). I’m using an aftermarket speedometer cluster which operates with a digital 12v input for the speed.

My thinking (if I am correct?) is that the stock SRT abs-sensors are used as speed sensors in the viper from gen-3. If so, I have also found out that they are fed with 12V in one of the two wires. Meaning they are “active” sensors.

My question is: “how do they work”? What is supposed to come out through the other wire when riding?

Grateful for all input!
Merry Christmas everyone
/Mattias

Attachments

• 594EA1D8-4D92-4E17-B54F-BA58326C3635.jpeg
    594EA1D8-4D92-4E17-B54F-BA58326C3635.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 4

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hmm, that's a bit odd. Most 2 wire style sensors are VR ones that produce their own voltage and don't require an input. 2 wire hall sensors exist, but they typically require a magnet on the thing they are sensing, and the ABS rings surely don't have magnets in them.

If you have a scope or even just a multimeter I might try tapping into the signal line to see for yourself what comes out. If it's anything like the old speed sensors they used to use in the transmission then it's an open collector style that is essentially a grounding input. You would have to have a 12v pull-up on the signal to make it work with your cluster if that was the case. The "good" news with open collector inputs (if it actually is one) is that they can be adapted to a lot of different things pretty easily as you can just put whatever pullup voltage you need on them. VR sensors typically require some signal conditioning to work with most computers, so that could be trickier.