Bought new tires. WOW!

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is absolutely, hands down, the best purchase I have made for my car so far. A little history:

Bought my car that was banged up, in Sept 2007. Spent the next 2 years fixing and repainting it. It had 01 wheels on it with date codes of 1999:omg: Drove it like it was on eggshells for 3k miles knowing that the tires were crap.Had suspension tweeked and aligned but still the car was all over the road; darted from side to side, tracked every line in the road, even some that I couldn't see. Had a wicked bumpsteer problem that I figured was from the accident and had pretty much given up on getting it right. The Michelin PSs still had about 3/4 tread on them.

Finally got the car about as straightened out as I thought that I could so I decided to go ahead and get the new tires that I had been putting off. Decided to go with the BF Goodrich G-force tires because of both price and Viper owner recommendations.

Cost of 4 new 18" tires from e-bay: $1,000.83 including shipping.
The date codes are all 1510 (15th week of 2010) so really fresh. Sticky rubber, of course it was 95 degrees when I got them:D.

Cost to have them mounted and balanced: $60

Took the car for a drive this morning to test them out and......

Bottom line is I have a brand new car. Could not make it track ANY line. Could not make the car dart from side to side. Could not reproduce the bumpsteer problem. Got the car up to 110 and for the first time I felt that the car was not dangerous: Rock solid. Ran out of road so I couldn't test any higher speed for now, but you can bet that I finally will!:)

I don't really have a lot of experience really DRIVING this car so I can't give a really objective opinion as of yet but I can say that for the first time, I really am not terrified to drive it.

I suspected that the tires would make a difference but this was an incredible surprise. If your car isn't driving right and you have tried everything else, change the tires if they are more than a few years old.

AND an added benefit of the BFGs is the tread pattern is argueably the coolest out there.

Ron

Attachments

• g-force-t-a-kdw.jpg
    g-force-t-a-kdw.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 44

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you decide on those based upon all the other THREADS on those tires. I give 'em a :2tu: too.:2tu:

That is a wicked cheap price. Who in the heck mounted/balanced those for $60/set. Way cheap too.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should also consider an alignment too if you feel your car isn't so smooth....

By the way, what are some prices for paint jobs? I know it can cost a lot to get a complete paint job, which is why I'd rather focus on repainting certain areas that need it the most... For me, having the front bumper, both side sills, the drivers side rear end panel on the top near the glass hatch are the biggest concerns to me. There are also some areas on the hood and on the drivers side by the door too, but I would imagine having to repaint a larger area on the car costing more to hit such a small area that needed it.

OP
OP

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had them mounted and balanced at my brother in law's tire center! Family discount.

I have had the alignment done twice on both front and rear by an awesome shop in Tampa: Cars n Concepts. Chuck hooked me up with these guys. They set up a lot of race car suspensions so they were just what I needed.

I never read anything but :2tu: on these tires. Also the wheel size will limit whatever you buy as well. They don't come in 19". Couldn't get Nitto Invos in 18". Kumhos were more for the track. Mich PSs were too much $$$

I'll update this thread as I get a few more miles on em.

Ron

OP
OP

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should also consider an alignment too if you feel your car isn't so smooth....

By the way, what are some prices for paint jobs? I know it can cost a lot to get a complete paint job, which is why I'd rather focus on repainting certain areas that need it the most... For me, having the front bumper, both side sills, the drivers side rear end panel on the top near the glass hatch are the biggest concerns to me. There are also some areas on the hood and on the drivers side by the door too, but I would imagine having to repaint a larger area on the car costing more to hit such a small area that needed it.

I only do paint and bodywork for my own cars, but I'm sure you know that it isn't cheap. Not really up on what anyone else charges. I had to paint the entire car, one panel/piece at a time.

Ron

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only do paint and bodywork for my own cars, but I'm sure you know that it isn't cheap. Not really up on what anyone else charges. I had to paint the entire car, one panel/piece at a time.

Ron

I would love to have my complete car repainted, not that the whole car needs it, but just so it looks flawless.... I would imagine doing that would be at least $12,000. I got some quotes on repainting my front bumper and both side sills though, I guess that would cost around $2,000-$2,500 when it's all said and done. However, as I said there is a spot on the driver's side rear end of the car on the top right below the glass hatch on the spoiler area I really want to get repainted. I should try taking a picture and post it.. It upsets me every time I see it. :(

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had them mounted and balanced at my brother in law's tire center! Family discount.

That makes sense now. I do my own mount/balance and don't even get that good a price :D. So the e-bay price was cheaper than family's tire center??
Also, VPA site has good pricing too.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I would strongly recommend having the dealership do your alignment. To properly align these cars, you need the DRB III scanner and the inclinometers that go with it. I have had mine aligned several times by other shops, (I don't do alignments at my shop because I ****ing hate doing them) and the car never felt right. Had the dealer perform an alignment, yes it was costly, but it was a new car!!!!!

OP
OP

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would strongly recommend having the dealership do your alignment. To properly align these cars, you need the DRB III scanner and the inclinometers that go with it. I have had mine aligned several times by other shops, (I don't do alignments at my shop because I ****ing hate doing them) and the car never felt right. Had the dealer perform an alignment, yes it was costly, but it was a new car!!!!!

Thanks for the advice but my guy obviously nailed it. Once I changed the tires the car drove perfect. All the tools and scanners in the world can't make a car drive right if the tires are pushing and pulling it all over the road.

Ron

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry Macedo took mine to Porche of Orlando after the Eibach install. If I recall...a couple of hundred bucks.

How are you liking the Eibachs? I plan on doing those sometime this summer. What size wheels are you running? I have a 19/20 setup and am unsure if I should make the move to Eibachs in fear of rubbing and overall having a much stiffer and not so smooth ride. However, I would love to stand corrected if someone were to chime in and say the opposite. :2tu:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to have my complete car repainted, not that the whole car needs it, but just so it looks flawless.... I would imagine doing that would be at least $12,000. I got some quotes on repainting my front bumper and both side sills though, I guess that would cost around $2,000-$2,500 when it's all said and done. However, as I said there is a spot on the driver's side rear end of the car on the top right below the glass hatch on the spoiler area I really want to get repainted. I should try taking a picture and post it.. It upsets me every time I see it. :(

Holy crap!!!! U could ship it to my shop and have my wife do it for about 6k complete!!!! Show car quality. And still have money left over from those quotes!!!!:2tu:

btw, 2,500 to do the sills and the bumper is a **** job. (if the sills don't need work.)

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy crap!!!! U could ship it to my shop and have my wife do it for about 6k complete!!!! Show car quality. And still have money left over from those quotes!!!!:2tu:

btw, 2,500 to do the sills and the bumper is a **** job. (if the sills don't need work.)

That spot on the back by the glass means the whole top gets resprayed.

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
im in the same boat as you just ordered 2 new ones for the rear got them for 399$ shipped for the 2 rears now im going to pick up 2 more for the front hope mine comes out like urs when all said and done!!!

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FYI...On mounting. My local Discount Tire only charges me $60 for 4 to mount tires. Also, the guys at the track charge $5 per action. $5 take tire off, $5 to mount tire, $5 to balance. ($15 total).

YMMV

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the Eibachs. Running the stock 18 " wheels. Ride is a lot "tighter". Wheel gap is better too. Just balances the stance and look so much better than stock.

OP
OP

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI...On mounting. My local Discount Tire only charges me $60 for 4 to mount tires. Also, the guys at the track charge $5 per action. $5 take tire off, $5 to mount tire, $5 to balance. ($15 total).

YMMV

Guess my "family" discount wasn't much of a discount!

Ron

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A tilt gauge??? why I would recomend a good shop with the Current Hunter Algnment machine with the Win Align 11, The best and only way to do " Any " car

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg:Just put a new set of Kuhmo Ecsta on my 95. WOW is an understatement. The car seems to be glued to the road! New tires make a world of difference. If you are running tires older than 5 years old, you may want to think twice before testing your babies power output!

OP
OP

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg:Just put a new set of Kuhmo Ecsta on my 95. WOW is an understatement. The car seems to be glued to the road! New tires make a world of difference. If you are running tires older than 5 years old, you may want to think twice before testing your babies power output!

Know the feeling. What did the Kumhos set you back?

Ron

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry Macedo took mine to Porche of Orlando after the Eibach install. If I recall...a couple of hundred bucks.

Jim over there is the man and sets up some very serious race cars and is a super nice guy. He did my setup, I need to get back to him for corner balancing

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Know the feeling. What did the Kumhos set you back?

Ron

I purchased them from a club member at a reduced price who won a set of PS2's at one of the events. However, I believe he paid just over $800 with mounting/balancing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456