Brake Assist on Gen 1 cars? These brakes ****!

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there any upgrades available to increase the brake assist on Gen 1 cars? All the Gen 1's I have driven, you really need to press the brake hard to get the car to slow down. On the flip side, my Z06 (and all C5 vettes) barely need any foot pressure at all and the car comes screeching to a halt.

So, anybody modify this on their car or am I out of luck and just need to get used to it?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stoptech with Pagid race pads. Stop like a ****. But you will still need to put your foot into it. It aint a Vette.

Do you have any idea what kind of pads you currently have on?

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Chuck,

I'm fairly certain it's the fact that the viper has much less brake assist than a vette does. As mentioned earlier, on the vette, you can practically rest your foot on the brake pedal and the brakes hit hard. On the vipers I have been in, you really need to mash down on the pedal to get it going.

I get my car back tomorrow from the shop with stoptech stuff on it, so I will see if that makes any difference, but I doubt it's anything like that.

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

I plan on road coursing it once, just to see what the limits are on the car, It will more than likely be at Button Willow where I can pretty much safely spin the car off the track once I have reached the maximum performance threshold of the car. I try not to do this, but have done it in my other car during one of the last sessions, the last time I was there. I was running on Hoosiers that time and I couldn't get the car to slide or break loose (or so I thought) and then finally, in one turn, feelin invinvible and hitting it way too hot, WHAM, off I went.

As for the stoptechs, I just got the rotors and pads. Still have the stock Calipers on there.

I think you are correct about the "assist" observation. Enjoy those Stoptechs. Does this mean that you'll be tracking it? :)

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the same impression as you do. I also have a Z06 and share your observations about the braking. I have upgraded my 2001 (ABS) snake to the Stop Tech Big Brake kit. Now I have to apply even MORE pressure to the brake pedal than before. I am going to try a different pad (currently I have been using the BrakeMan 3) but I think it is the greated amount of brake assist on the Z06 that I am missing.

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, anybody modify this on their car or am I out of luck and just need to get used to it?

Gotta get out from behind your desk more and put some muscles on those chicken legs!! :laugh: But then again, I guess the Viper spoils you when your used to driving a non power-assisted Mercedes truck :smirk:

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The early Gen2 booster had much improved pedal modulation and required less effort than the Gen1. I think the Gen2 ABS cars have still another different booster.

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Docta Viper.. I didn't quote you.. I quoted superbar :) or are you complaining about the braking too? a lil viper brake action shouldn't affect you I wouldn't think :p

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I am complaining about the braking. But what I really want to do is get the brakes working to my satisfaction so I can stop complaining and start winning. My new Stop Tech Big Brake setup is not working as well as I just know it should be, so I am looking for all sorts of ideas. As soon as they do start working well, I will post it LOUD AND CLEAR.

Reaction score
To all Gen 1 owners who want their brakes to feel like a Gen 2:
Replace your power booster with a Gen 2 booster. I used a '96 GTS booster on my '94. Now, it feels the same as my '99 ACR. Try it. You will like it.

Chuck G
Oro Valley, AZ.

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

How much of a difference does it make? I don't think you viper guys know what braking should feel like until you have been in a Corvette. Wait a second... I am a viper guy now... sheesh ;) Love my RT/10, but god almighty, every car I own, including my Ford F150, "feels" like it brakes better. They added the tiniest of brake assist in this car, which is just weird to me. I now have stop techs all the way around as well, so no doubt my braking is very good, but I am talking about the amount of pressure one must add to the pedal to get the car to brake.

I don't know anything about brake assist and how that even works, but can't these be replaced by something other than a viper power booster?

Reaction score
It makes a big difference in the FEEL. That probably means you can modulate the brakes better. To me, it feels the same as a Gen 2. You may be able find a used(take off)Gen 2 booster from one of the tuners/racers. Or, get a new one.

Chuck G

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL Nothing like comparing an 8+ year old car to a Z06...

"My ZR-1 sure does whip up on those Deloreans..." :laugh:

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bah, even the 1997 C5's had phenomenal braking. I'm sure the braking on the car is fine, I just want more assist. If you can supe up an engine, surely you can supe up the brake assist, yes? I don't know anything about this stuff, so maybe you just can't do that.

Call me girlie if you like, but having driven the C5's for so long now, I really want that feeling of barely needing to tap the brakes and car brakes hard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21