Brake dust repellent

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any reviews on this?

416bdrsmall.jpg

What does Michelin Brake Dust Repellent do for my wheels? No doubt you have noticed how quickly the wheels – particularly the front wheels – of many vehicles get dirty following a washing and cleaning. This is primarily due to brake dust which is generated each time you apply the vehicles’ brakes. Michelin Brake Dust Repellent acts at the molecular level to prevent brake dust (and other forms of dust and dirt) from landing and depositing on the surface of the wheel. You can visibly see the difference because wheels stay cleaner for a longer period of time following cleaning.

How does Michelin Brake Dust Repellent work? Michelin Brake Dust Repellent forms a thin barrier between your valuable wheels and the environmental attack of brake dust, road soils, grime and film. Michelin Brake Dust Repellent uses patent-pending polymer technology to create this barrier that repels brake dust and makes subsequent cleanings quicker and easier.
How often should I apply Michelin Brake Dust Repellent? Michelin Brake Dust Repellent is recommended for use after each washing. This will keep the dust repellent film intact and protecting your wheels.

The label directions instruct me to spray Michelin Brake Dust Repellent onto the wheel, then wipe away any excess. Instead, can I apply Michelin Brake Dust Repellent to a cloth or sponge, and then wipe onto my wheels? Yes. Michelin Brake Dust Repellent just requires a very thin film be applied on wheels.

I REALLY hate brake dust and the damage it can do to my wheels. Will Michelin Brake Dust Repellent work even better if I apply an extremely heavy coating just leave it on the wheel to dry? No, it will not. Michelin Brake Dust Repellent works best if it is applied in a very light film. If you leave an excessive amount of the product on the surface it might actually attract dust instead of repelling it. Just follow label directions by applying a thin film, then wipe it dry to achieve maximum repellency.

Will Michelin Brake Dust Repellent keep all brake dust off of my wheels? Some brake dust may accumulate on wheel depending upon driving conditions and other soils/films picked up during driving. If this happens, Michelin Brake Dust Repellent will make these soils easier to clean than ever.

In addition to keeping wheels looking cleaner for a longer period of time, are there any other benefits from using Michelin Brake Dust Repellent? Yes. Routine use of Michelin Brake Dust Repellent can keep wheels from staining, yellowing and pitting, all of which are potentially caused by brake dust buildup. In addition, Michelin Brake Dust Repellent will make subsequent cleanup of wheels even easier as a result of the invisible barrier film that has been applied to the wheel surface.

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, Newport. I'd like to try some. Can you buy it at Auto Parts Stores? It could be hype, but I don't think Michelin would go to the trouble to produce this product if it doesn't work well. Tom.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Will try it on the Toyota, before any of the other cars I have. If it works and is not harmful, they are going to sell a boatload of this stuff.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be interested to know if the glass cleaner I use to clean my wheels would strip off the repellent . . . :crazy:

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd be interested to know if the glass cleaner I use to clean my wheels would strip off the repellent . . . :crazy:

Bruce,
I commented to my wife about how great your wheels looked when I saw you on Woodward last week. What's the trick with the glass cleaner? Do you use any wax or traditional wheel cleaner first?
Tim

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That stuff sounds just like 303 Protectant which has been around for a long time and is for use on vinyl, rubber and some metal. It also claims to reduce brake dust with use on chromed or clear coated rims.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why not just use wax ???

The thin layer of wax, if put on wheels will make the dust stick even worse than nothing at all. When wax gets hot it gets soft, allowing dust/dirt to stick. when you stop and want to clean the wheels the wax will have hardened and make cleanig even harder.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim --

At the advice of the wheel repair expert we had at the fall Tech Session a year ago, I use Wheel Wax (WheelWax.com). It is specially designed for wheels and doesn't seem to act like normal wax -- as described by Mopar Steve above. I wax about two times a season. I then use Turtle Wax Glass Cleaner and a clean cotton rag to clean them every now and then. Thanks for the compliment!

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
why dont your half a fanokes use your thongs to wipe the wheel off and quit your bitchin

Whats a fanoke?

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that:

fanokes = Americanized slang version of "finnochios" = Italian slang word for "*** males" that literally translates to the Italian word "fennel". It must have been used in an episode of The Sopranos or something but it wasn't spelled on screen for him or I'm sure he would have properly spelled it as "finnochs" (the New York sounding short form for "finnochio's") :)

Just a guess,
Santo

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
why dont your half a fanokes use your thongs to wipe the wheel off and quit your bitchin
Whats a fanoke?

Didn't they inhabit one of the Moons of Endor?

I have also heard rumors that using RainX on your wheels helps prevent brake dust, but if you're like me and drive regularly in the rain it'll smear brake mud all down the side of your car. Rumor, no idea if its true or not.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Whats a fanoke?

LOL, what a thong?

I'm scared of putting anything on my wheels. On the track the wheels get so hot they'll cook any wax or protectant you have on them. Even the clear coat:-(

I used to use a chrome wax on my bikes exhaust pipes, and they started blue-ing. I bought a new set and haven't put a thing on them, and there fine.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wax my wheels, but it really doesn't seem to keep the dust from accumulating. It does help remove accumulations of embedded brake dust. My wheels get nasty after about TWO miles of stop and go. Love my wheels but they are a nightmare to clean. Thanks for the tip Newport, hopefully my tires will be mounted tomorrow. I will try this stuff out this weekend, before I mount my wheels.

OP
OP
N

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wax my wheels, but it really doesn't seem to keep the dust from accumulating. It does help remove accumulations of embedded brake dust. My wheels get nasty after about TWO miles of stop and go. Love my wheels but they are a nightmare to clean. Thanks for the tip Newport, hopefully my tires will be mounted tomorrow. I will try this stuff out this weekend, before I mount my wheels.

Do one side with, and one side without. That will tell the tale.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use headlight fluid, but muffler bearing grease works well too, just use it sparingly!

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHEEL WAX................... works wonders.. I use it on all my cars.. Love it

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I went to Autozone and they said they just sold the stuff for a penny. They said not one bottle sold, so they cleared them out. Tried three locally and they looked at me like I was making the product up. Newport, do you know of another location that may have the product?