Brake Dust?

MajorGeek

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi,
Finally got to drive my 01 Viper thanks to a break in weather. Wow, what fun! I noticed excessive brake dust. Not dust, but really more like small chunks then dust. It has 4700 miles and it makes me wonder if the car was sitting and the brake pads are in bad shape. After 100 miles, it had a lot of dust on them, which seems extreme to me. Is this normal brake dust? If so, what are my options here?

OP
OP
M

MajorGeek

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks will take a look. I will dig into it before I have it on the lift for the new echaust, plug wires and hurst shifter. Appreciate the help.

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do those EBC greenstuff really make a big difference in dust? My rims look almost black after a week of daily driving (street). It drives me nuts! :evilmad:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brake dust on your car body or wheels washes off with water if its waxed.Ask yourself do you want good brakes with dust or dimished dust and poorer braking? GTS Bruce

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ask yourself do you want good brakes with dust or dimished dust and poorer braking?
Except EBC Green's do not diminish your braking. They allow you to stop faster without lockup, which, to most people, might qualify as **better** braking.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Except EBC Green's do not diminish your braking. They allow you to stop faster without lockup, which, to most people, might qualify as **better** braking.

I do not believe that those results are what everyone has encountered. On my RT/10 (no ABS) the cold braking was SCARY. The first stop sign on my street required way more pedal effort than stock pads. After that they were okay, though they do require more pedal effort. The positive, beside the lack of dust, was that they were easier to modulate. I drove with the EBC greens for 3 years so it was not a one use evaluation.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't say less pedal effort, I said better braking. I dropped an easy 1 to 3 full seconds in a 45 second autocross course with EBC's - I could brake a lot deeper, modulate the brakes at lockup better, etc.

Less effort does not necessarily mean better brakes. My '95 with stock pads would lock up so easily it was scary, and lockup is not my definition of good braking.

I agree low effort AND no lockup would be better, but I don't think you're going to get both on a Gen I or Gen II Viper, at least not without major brake component replacement/upgrade.

Concerning experience, I've got around 20k miles on stock/factory Viper pads and 60k miles on EBC Greens in both a Gen I and Gen II RT/10. I personally prefer the EBC's for the better brake control. The cheaper cost (albeit slightly less longevity) and the less brake dust are a nice bonus.

And, don't use them on the track, of course.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go withe the EBC red stuff brakes for both street and track. They work very well and leave no brake dust. The red does tend to squeal a little bit just as the car stops but this is a trade off for a great pad with no dust. For more information click on my name at the left and see our web site. Fell free to call anytime.
Robbie

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would go withe the EBC red stuff brakes for both street and track.
I wouldn't. :cool: I've used the Yellow's (higher temp range than the reds) for the track, and they work well for me, but those that seriously race (i.e., not me) that have tried them all say there are better Viper pads than EBC for the track - Porterfields, Brakeman, etc.

And, if you aren't going to the track, you don't want to use Yellow's or Red's on the street, as they don't get grippy until very high temps, which you don't see on the street.

HOWEVER, one friend has used the Red's on his '94 (Gen I) rear brakes in order to try to get the brake balance better sorted out. He says this has improved his braking in reducing rear-wheel lockup.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct in what you are saying, " I've used the Yellow's (higher temp range than the reds) for the track, and they work well for me, but those that seriously race (i.e., not me) that have tried them all say there are better Viper pads than EBC for the track - Porterfields, Brakeman, etc.",
but I have to tell you that I have been runing Reds for over 2 years and with no problems at all. They work great on the street as they are made of a ceramic compound that is being used by many car manufactures as their OEM brake pads today. Napa's best brake pads are ceramic, and they are not worried about having to heat them up. I have never had an issue with having to heat them up ether. I believe the grippy issue is more a problem with the Michelin Run-Flats which take forever to get up to temperture here in New England. Believe me I totally respect what you are saying above. Robbie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude