Brake job problem..(Help!)

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I'm really pissed of and dirty now :mad:

I finished replacing my fronts with Roe's SRT kit, then did the rears with Tom's 40mm calipers, replacing all my brake lines with stainless steel.
All looked fine until I tried to bleed the brakes today and found my right front leaking where the factory brake line fitting screws into the new stainless steel parts. I remembered it felt a little rough screwing in, like maybe a thread was dirty or damaged, but it still tightened.

Now it leaks no matter how I try to tighten it. Anyone know what to do? I would hate to have to replace the entire factory line, I had to take a vacation day just to have time to do this brake uprade!

Any help would be appreciated

J

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmm, is it cross threaded? I would Pull the line back out and look at both male and female threads. If damaged, you'll most likely have to replace. You could try a tap/dye. But with high pressure. It has to be perfect, or it will always leak... sorry man... been there,done that on my mustang..

Simi Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bluv, I think you had ruin the thread in the caliper, not long ago there was a post that Lance had done it with what is call "kellycoil" to rethread it, I hope he will chime in or you can go to the Illustrated Upgrades section and find his info, probably, He can help you out.

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe some teflon tape on the threads? I have no idea if this would work or if the tape would hold up to the brake fluid but it sounds feasible.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might be able to cut the line and re-flare it. Hard to say without pics.

Of course you will need the proper flaring tools.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a compresion fitting. Teflon tape will not fix it. Remove the fitting and look at the flare. It must be clean and free of any maring, flat spots, lines or groves. Check the seat for damage. Also check the threads for damage. As Chuck said, you can cut the end of the tube, replace the fitting and reflare the line. The tools are not expensive. Find a local that can help you or a auto shop will do it for a small fee.
Good luck

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bluvenm,

I had a CALIPER that had the crossed thread in it.

In this case you would essentially have to get the threaded hole drilled out and have a helicoil put in. It is a metric helicoil. M10 x 1.
I bought the kit from Mc Master Carr. Here is the p/n for the kit from Mc Master 91732A959 $66.79
The other thing that you also have to do is resurface the flat perpindicular to the threading so the copper washer sits flat. If you just drill out the hole and put in the helicoil and its not perpindiicular to the the flat surface...when you tighten up the bolt with the copper washers and steel braided line, the copper washers won't seal correctly and it will still leak.

If I'm reading correctly, your problem is not at the caliper but at the other end where the stainless line screws onto the hard brakeline....in which case Helicoils aren't going to help you.

Sorry

Lance

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Compression fitting on a brake line? I've never seen that and it should never be done. Lines should be double flared if you go that route. I suggest finding someone qualified to check the problem. John

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
bluvenm97 I just went threw the exact same thing,same side, same line. Kit was from Dave's big brakes. I e-mailed him and within minutes he replied with input and pictures, basicly never seen it before. tried tightening and it looked good but under presure sure enough it leaked. Talked to a couple of techs at the dealership that I work at and told them I was worried about stripping it and how much that would $$$$, They suggested that I loosen and realign it and retighten, still leaked. Bottom line he said give it one more twist with wrench and don't be scared. Problem fixed!!! Very tight spot to get at and was using a little short open end. Lesson "leverage" Problem solved.
ps Toms 40mm brake upgrade rocks :2tu: :2tu:

OP
OP
B

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I got it taken care of! I really appreciate all the help offered, you guys are great!

I bought a Craftsman die set and it repaired the thread enough to get it to tighten up without any more leaks! I still tightened the piss out of it, but all looks good now! It'll take quite a bit of driving time for me to really trust it though, guess I'm just paranoid like that :smirk:

Thanks again brothers.. :usa:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4