BRING YOUR FRS - GMRS RADIOS! ESP FOR PARADE!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Folks,

Way back at VOI-2, the Pac-NW becan convoying to VOIs with small wireless radios. We went to VOI-3 and had 34 cars in a convoy from Roanoke Dodge. Police ****** into speedway!

Family Channel Radios began at $250 back then and now are down to $19. $49-$59 for the 5-mile GMRS-FRS models, a best bet. YOull be glad you popped the 5-miler. All are cross-compatible, Motorola, Cobra, Audiovox, Radio Shack and many others.

When we all get rolling at VOI, you will be able to chat Viper-To Viper, or just evesdrop..... on the OFFICIAL VCA CHANNEL:

Channel 10, Security code 10 (ie 10-10)

If you SPOT a Viper on the drive to/from, you can HAIL: "Hey, Yellow Texas Viper on Quick-Load" or "Hey, Red Florida Viper plate reads "KZMYASP" And see who answers. FUN+.

For regional clubs, families, friends, etc wanting to stay in touch, maybe better to pick some OTHER channel and code, and just scan for 10-10.

Ill Be Listening: Call-Signs "PACECAR" or "JonB"
Hope to Chat-U-Up soon.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the channel 10 a frs channel or do I need gmrs/frs for this channel. Thousands of $$$$ in ham radio equipment and I now need to go buy another...atleast they are dirt cheap.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
it's Channel 10 on FRS radio. Bring the FRS.

The GMRS radios are great (more range) and usually share channels 1-7 with the FRS radios.

BUT, go to channel 8 or higher and the FRS and GMRS radios will not communicate with the other. ( I just tried this with our GMRS & FRS to be sure)

So.... if it's channel 10 (x), don't plan on your GMRS radios picking up the FRS radios on Ch. 10.

(Make it something like Channel 1, Privacy channel 10 and the GMRS and FRS will all communicate fine.)

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Marv S on 09-22-2002 at 04:45 PM</font>

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Marv, Another question if any one knows. When using VOX does the earbud mic work on VOX or do you have to use the push to talk button (PTT) Looking at a pair of Cobra radios with the earbud mic with PTT. tnx, Tony

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that but was wanting it for another application. I will be using amateur radio for most communication (N4VFG Extra class license) but I still have to ease drop on you guys.

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
DONT USE VOX !!

(Voice-activated)

The wind noise and/or motor noise in the interior will trigger the mike and broadcast all the time, taking the network down in your radius !

NO VOX !!!!