Broken door spring

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get just the spring for the door hinge? (98 GTS)

You must be registered for see images attach

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just had this replaced on 97 gts,(I think they are the same). The spring is part of the door hinge and can only be replacedas an assembly, not a cheap date. Call Chuck at Tators, he will have it in stock.My driveway is on somewhat of a hill and it was worth the money to have it fixed, the door closing on me everytime I tried to get out got old fast.

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kinda looks like poor engineering to me. Somebody has got to have an old hinge somewhere, Does not matter which side. It's just a matter of reriviting another spring in.

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck did suggest greasing once a year as a regular maintance item, also be careful with the spacers behind the hinge panel,from what I understand they are all different. (hand built)

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck did suggest greasing once a year as a regular maintance item, also be careful with the spacers behind the hinge panel,from what I understand they are all different. (hand built)

Good point! Thank you!

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is an issue I have seen pop up quite often, and seems predominant on 98s..go figure. The spring is simply a piece of metal that flexes. Over time constant flexing/bending of the "spring" causes it to snap.

It does seem like a very poor design. I know that you can't just get the spring alone and a new hinge is somewhere in the 500+ dollar range I think. Call Chuck, he knows best! And has the best price!

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, they are nowhere near that much. More like $125 to $150 I think.

This is an issue I have seen pop up quite often, and seems predominant on 98s..go figure. The spring is simply a piece of metal that flexes. Over time constant flexing/bending of the "spring" causes it to snap.

It does seem like a very poor design. I know that you can't just get the spring alone and a new hinge is somewhere in the 500+ dollar range.

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think it was $250.00 but don't quote me give Chuck a call, he offers a discount as well. Great guy!!Tator's Dodge 20 Spring Street South in South Salem, NY 10590
Phone 914-763-3136 Fax 914-763-9507 Email: [email protected] :2tu:

Danno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My door spring broke this weekend also. I didnt know what it was (until I read this thread) I just saw the bent piece of metal laying on the side sill. I've got a 97 GTS. Is this an easy fix or does the whole door have to be rehung?

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It does require you to remove door I beleive, I had Chuck change mine while I was having some other work done. I did not want to get involved in removing the door.

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This can be a problem as the Viper ages. You need to lubricate the hinge every couple years. The alumunim hinge wears easily also, so if not lubed your door will drop as it wears and hit the weatherstrip.

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My door spring broke this weekend also. I didnt know what it was (until I read this thread) I just saw the bent piece of metal laying on the side sill. I've got a 97 GTS. Is this an easy fix or does the whole door have to be rehung?

Be careful. When this spring breaks and you open the door all the way the spring catches the door hinge metal and prevents you from closing the door. When you pull on the door it feels like you are going to break the door. Best thing to do is to remove this spring till the hinge is replaced. To do this you must drill the head of the rivit and use a chisel punch to remove the spring.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll shoot some pics of my fix. Get a salvage hinge for a few bucks (I paid $50), drill out the cruch rivet on the old and replacement hinge so you can remove the "spring". Now you can do one of two things at this point. Drill and tap what you just drilled out so you can simply bolt the replacement spring in (its just cast aluminum...easy to tap), or remove the bolts from the body (bulkhead) side of the hinge (leave the hinge on the door and door in place) and bolt the replacement spring in. The clearance on the back side of the hinge is minimal so you have to grind the head of whatever bolt you use about half off. No big deal. You will have to re-align/hang the door. No big deal either.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hrmm, I might have to order one from you Chuck. Being that I over inflated my assumed price...I'm already saving 50% :)