Brown Color on my Speedo Plastic

Gearhead Adam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has this same thing, but its strange. See attached pic, my speedo has this brown color around the dial...has been that way since i got the car. Looks like a burn mark yet dash lights up at night normally, car has only even been used with headlights on a few times. any idea what caused it and more importantly how to clean it?

Attachments

• viper speedo.jpg
    viper speedo.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 88

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see this post on the latest threads part at the top of the main forum page and it says:

Brown Color on my Speedo...

So...I recommend the wash machine.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's funny guys!!! I didn't put brown on speedo together until you pointed it out!

To the OP, It looks like the rubber on the Trip Odometer Reset button is deteriorating. I don't think that there is much you can do except to take it apart and clean it or replace it.

OP
OP
G

Gearhead Adam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks ratical, any idea how to separate the plastic from the bezel or can that rubber piece be taken out/replaced without having to pull apart the dash?

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks ratical, any idea how to separate the plastic from the bezel or can that rubber piece be taken out/replaced without having to pull apart the dash?

I haven't gotten into the dash on this car, so I don't know how difficult it is to take this gauge apart or if it is even possible. I am sure someone else has....we will have to wait to see what they say.

Good Luck!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that *****. I would try to plastic polish and hope it is just on the outside. That said I doubt you will be able to do anything short of replace it.

OP
OP
G

Gearhead Adam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that *****. I would try to plastic polish and hope it is just on the outside. That said I doubt you will be able to do anything short of replace it.

can you replace the plastic? the knob? what i DONT want to even bother with is having to put a whole new speedo in just for that...its really not a huge deal but i was curious as to what was causing it and now have that answer...

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i never noticed it on my, so i don't know if it is there or not, but now i will have to look and will notice it if it is there :omg:

thanks alot :mad:

:lmao:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must be a Texas thing...
All that humidity and sunlight (UV) have accelerated the breakdown of the rubber causing it to stain the gauge face. I don't if it is leeching or out-gassing. If it is leaching into the gauge face, you won't be able clean it. If the transfer is by out-gassing, there is a possibility that you can wipe it off. It all depends how deep the stain penetrates the surface.
Hummmm,,,,,might have to rethink moving to Texas....j/k