Buying a 95 Viper with 74000 miles?

XLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to look at a 95 with 74000 miles. Any advice what to look for. Any problems with the higher miles? He is asking $30000.00. Opinions please. Thanks.

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the price is too high for that year with that mileage. Has it had head gasket problems which have been remedied?

Have you had a competent Viper person look at it? I'm sure there are many knowledgeable inidviduals on this board who would take a look at it for you.

Given the information you've presented, my gut feling would be in the mid 20's. That's assuming there are no other siginificant issues.

Good luck.....

Don Hiltz

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mid 20's?! I remember one with 102K go for $28,500. I think 30 is a decent price, but if you can get it for less, great! The head gasket issue is a problem with the Gen I cars. If a warranty is available, get it.

Mike

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it drives okay and there aren't a lot of mechanical problems at this time, I guess you have to ask yourself how many miles are you going to put on it.

I wouldn't think there would be many more problems from 70K to 80K as from 60K to 70K.

I grappled over this situation with a "high mileage" Porsche 993TT. Since the engines are supposed to be good for 120K miles. If the average driver puts on about 5K miles on their car, why is a high mileage car undesirable if its presently in good shape?

I would think the undesirability would come from if you're a high mileage driver and then you purchase a high mileage car.

Kind of rambling.

OP
OP
X

XLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate the opinions very much. I was thinking the same thing that parts cars and wrecks are going for mid 20s so this shouldnt be to bad. I am going to look at it Thursday morning and will let you know how it looks. Thanks!!!! Any more advice or opinions are appreciated.

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go for it , the head gaskets were not a problem in 95 , the motor should last a lot longer if it has had it's oil changed on a regular basis.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That 94 with 102k selling for $28k mentioned in this thread is the one I bought. I paid $25k for it. It had the engine changed at 95k by the previous owner. It wasn't a wreck or a salvage but it needed lots of mechanical work, paint, interior, dash, seats, both tops and other things here and there. I have it looking good now. It has 105k at this point and holds the record for the highest miles Viper in the world. The problem is, I have over $37k in it.
I have my Viper but if I had it to do over I would have bought a real nice low miles car. I just don't think they can be fixed up cheaper than they can be bought. Good Luck

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think 30k is actually cheap, especially if everything is in order. i got my 94 for 39k just recently, but then again it only has 13,000 miles on it. i say go for it if everything is in order, thats a great price for a Viper.

Randy

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mid 20's?? I'll take 2!! If it is clean, well taken care of, and stock then $30 is about right. If it is used and abused then $27 is all its worth. It seems like head gasket issues occur in the garage queens more because the gasket rots away then when they are started it blows out. The high milage cars don't seem to have the problem (mine went last year at 12K miles)

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
XLR8,
I have a low mile '94 for sale, I'd take $39,000.00.
Has a few marks on the wheels.
New rear Pilot's on rear last summer, like new.
Send me an email or a PM.
TJ

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read all the posts and agree that $30K is an acceptable price IF the car measures up. "IF" is the operative word here folks!

Any car with 74K miles can be expected to require replacement of certain components, e.g., water pump, power steering, hoses & drive belt, clutch, pressure plate, brakes, front end, plus, wires, etc, etc, etc,

Moreover, how's the finish? How're the top and windows? How're the tires? How's the interior?

Read Joe117's post. Even with a new engine, he's spent over 10K on his Viper.

Everyone seems to agree that it's a buyer's market. Why suggest that a potential buyer accept a price which on the surface (to me) appears to be inflated? Surely, he can factor in the mileage and negotiate a better price.

Don

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have read above I would say you should offer $27,000. That would give you some room for expenses. Good luck.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just the mechanical work that mine needed was, clutch everything including hydraulics, pressure plate, flywheel, clutch brake pedal assy, clutch starter lockout switch, hand brake assy and cables, tie rod ends, steering rack, alignment, shifter, compleat brakes. I had it done at a dealer and probably could have saved some by finding a cheaper place. Total for the above was $5200. I had the car and hard top painted. I bought, on ebay and VCA classified, hard top, seats, soft top side curtains, tonneau cover, car cover, steering wheel, five spokes with tires, stock radio. From Jon B and other suppliers, Balenger cat back, dash and the other associated interior parts, 3.55 gears. Total for all I've spent on the car $37k+.
Probably could be done for less. But like I said, you can buy a Viper cheaper than you can fix one up. In todays used Viper market, I'm thinking you should be able to find a real good gen1 for about $32k.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would agree that 75K miles is relatively insignificant as long as the vehicle has been well maintained. But I wouldn't put any faith in it unless they were the miles I had put on the car. We have engines running at some of our compressor stations that have been in service since the 30's, but only because of rigorous maintenance.

I'd ask for a little lagniappe.

If the body is in great shape, you could add $15k? to the price for a new motor installed & see what that lands you. I'm also in the market & I'm personally scratching any vehicle off my list with more than 15K miles, regardless of age. Periodically, I find myself considering higher mileage, but only in conjunction with DEEP discounts.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay a little more a get something with less miles... I could swear I saw some with 20K miles going for 35K... Just spend the extra money so you won't deal with the engine and trans headaches...

ndvipergtsr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I purchased my 96 GTS with 58k miles and am completly happy with it, It did need a few minor things to be honest. A new set of shocks, the tires were hard so i bought a new set of hre-547's and got tires from JonB. Really go over the car and if you can veiw it on a lift so you can really check the frame welds and so on. But the greatest thing you will get with a viper with miles is you won't be afraid to drive it....................Jerry

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought my 94 with 26,000 miles. The prev owner just purchased a new hard top and glass windows 3 days before I bought it. It also came with Borlas and K&N. I have since picked up some chrome GTS wheels and tires for $1150.00 and am installing new head gaskets just to be safe. I paid $33,500 for the car, $413.00 for head gasket kit form Dodge and I will have some labor to add. One other thing you want to remember is what kind of condition the side pipe covers and front facia are in. If they have never been fixed they will need it to make it really nice. I am having my front facia and sidepipe covers fixed after the head gaskets are done. A local body shop our business deals with will do the work for $500.00. Once I am done I should have a pretty decent looking Viper. I will have roughly $36,000 invested. If I were you I would spend the extra money if you can and go for a lower mile car. On the other hand if you can buy this car cheap enough, (like $27,000 or less!!!!) then you an go ahead and do the fixing up that you want when the pocket book allows. Ether way you slice it, it is still a Viper. Good luck to you!!!

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The FIRST upgrade you should buy is an extended warranty! Contact me and I will give you the info. Whats the use of getting a great deal on a used Viper, spending K's on upgrades and then giving all the money back to fix the car if it breaks down. The extended warrranty will be the smartest upgrade you could get for your Gen 1 Viper. Remember, an Arrow rebuild costs thousands upon thousands of dollars.
Good luck-Jonathan
BTW- My 94 is for Sale!

OP
OP
X

XLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to thank all of you for taking the time to post replies. You have given me ideas that I never would have thought of. I am going to look at the car just to see if it exceptionaly nice and is a great deal,but I will not make any rash decisions. The main thing I had thought about was the head gaskets but there a lot of other things to consider and the price of parts and repairs is extreamly high. If it isn't real nice I will pass. I am in no hurry to buy one because I already have two. THANKS for the advice.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by XLR8:
I am in no hurry to buy one because I already have two.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BS. Nobody has two Vi... nevermind.

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
late in the 94 model year the head gasket material was changed, so its not a major concern.. can you even get an extended warranty on a car with 100k?

chuck,

3 people with 2 vipers posted on this thread.. your club is becoming a little less exclusive by the day!! time for number 3...
smile.gif

- eddie -

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by XLR8:
I am in no hurry to buy one because I already have two. THANKS for the advice.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

XLR8 if you really want to add to your collection, buy mine. Good as new 96 gts with 2,300 miles. (that's not a typo). My ad is in the classifieds.
frown.gif

OP
OP
X

XLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neil. WOW!! That is a beautiful car!! That also seems like a very good price. I have a 97 that looks just like it,so if you ask me you have great taste. I am looking for a higher milage car for a daily driver and for a little less money. By the way,my car didn't come with a hood ornament like that,is it an option or standard on a 96? Good luck selling yours.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This one just went in the classifieds.... a good comnparison. It is a pretty good price in my opinion, specially with the hard top, hard side windows, new tires and 18" wheels! Who know's it might be what you are looking for W/O the hardtop and with three spoke wheels:

FOR SALE: 1995 Black RT/10 Priced to Sell
10/30/2002
$36,995

How about this for your first Viper. Great looking Viper with 22,000 miles. Has 18" 5 spoke wheels, with new tires, hardtop and hard windows, Borla exhaust, excellent paint- ready to show or drive. What a deal (steal !!) at $36,995!! Will sell with stock 3 spoke 17" wheels, and without the hardtop, with appropriate price adjustments!! Check this out at 513-931-7678, 703-329-8780, or
[email protected]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte