Buying a Viper on EBAY

Cobra Comander

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with buying a car or specifically a Viper from Ebay?

OR would you recommend just going to a car dealer. Does anyone recommend a general car dealer in the US that carries allott of new/used Vipers for good prices?

Reason for all the questions is because I'm in Canada and our Canadian dollar is very close to the US dollar, and some goods and services are MUCH MUCH cheaper then here, that I would actually save quite allot of money bringing a car over.

So here's another question, any Canadians here have any experience with bringing a car over? Specifically a Viper?

Thanks.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Cobra--welcome again...saw your post and thought you might want to call Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse...I don't know if he has any used Vipers for sale, but he's a good one to talk to about Vipers all around. Personally, I'd stay away from EBay, but I see plenty of people who've bought on there...so personal choice, I'd say. Also, Chuck Tator from [email protected] is extremely knowledgeable, but probably also very busy right now...he's very good at returning calls though, or emails....just some suggestions. Good Luck in your search!!! ~juli

TwinTurbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too bought my Viper on E Bay but was "paranoid" about buying from "Individual". Bought from a large BMW car dealer and they arranged shipping, pictures, ect. After sending Certified Check I was hoping that car was as they represented it as. It was and didn't have a scratch on it. Tried to buy from local Ringgold Dodge Dealer that says they sell hundreds of Vipers but got better deal on the Internet. I'd hate to think how many cars I have traveled long distances to see from "Individuals" and after getting there found they WERE NOT as described.

I feel you can find a good deal on the Internet but make sure you can get "accurate" description. Good luck ! :eater:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
never buy a car sight unseen, and dont trust a description by a biased seller.

many knowledgeable members of this forum will go and look at a car for you if it is in their area. you may need to offer up some gas and / or lunch money, but it will be well worth it.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go see the car or have someone who knows these cars look at it for you. I spent 1K going to bumf!ck nowhere thinking I found the perfect GT at the perfect price. I left in the enterprise car that was rented at the airport.:mad:
Found one later but went through a reputable dealer....

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with buying a car or specifically a Viper from Ebay?

OR would you recommend just going to a car dealer. Does anyone recommend a general car dealer in the US that carries allott of new/used Vipers for good prices?

Reason for all the questions is because I'm in Canada and our Canadian dollar is very close to the US dollar, and some goods and services are MUCH MUCH cheaper then here, that I would actually save quite allot of money bringing a car over.

So here's another question, any Canadians here have any experience with bringing a car over? Specifically a Viper?

Thanks.

Hi CC - I pass through your vicinity every work day. Welcome to the board.

There aren't many Vipers for sale in Ontario that's for sure, you'll find what you're looking for in the US.

If the deal sounds to good to be true, there's a reason, regardless if it's on ebay or in the autotrader, etc.. If I were looking at a car in the US, definitely ask somebody here on the board for advice on getting it inspected. There are some good cars for sale in the classified section, this board is full of Viper expertise and helpful members.

To import the car, you can't avoid paying PST and GST.. Obviously if you can find a local private saler then you would only have to pay PST.

What model / year Viper are you looking for?

To import, it's best to do it yourself to avoid brokerage fees.

Steps to import are -

Fax the US title with a cover sheet (including the VIN) to the US Customs port you will bring it across at. I suggest the Ambassador bridge, not the Tunnel. You will need to clear the title and get it stamped by US Customs. This needs to be done 72 hours minimum to importing it, Canada Customs may ask to see the "stamped" title, they make a copy of it along with your id. See this site for more info -

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/export/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml

You will be required to pay GST and the RIV fee at Canada Customs the day you bring the car over. PST will be collected when you get you new ownership / title at the Ministry of Transportation, after the RIV inspection is completed / approved.

Since you just paid the RIV fee in advance your next step is to bring it in for an RIV inspection (they provide you the approved RIV inspection locations), i.e. Canadian Tire. There is no cost of inspection, they get the copy of the RIV form that you received from Canada Customs (how they get paid for the inspection). You will have to pay for the necessary modifications they dictate is needed. i.e. daytime running lights if not equipped, bilingual stickers, passenger child tether hook, etc.. they'll let you know what is needed, but there typically isn't much needed for a Viper.

See the Registrar of Imported Vehicles http://www.riv.ca/ for importing vehicle info.

Note on their admissibility list that the "1992 to 1996 Viper Roadster" cannot be imported into Canada.

Note that RIV / Canada Customs will not provide you an inspection form without a letter from the manufacturer that the car is up to date regarding recalls. You can get this letter from a Dodge dealer prior to importing it, get the VIN and ask them to run a recall check on the car and provide you a letter (requires the Dodge dealer letterhead / info) and the vehicle information / VIN. There are some hefty recalls on some Vipers, including the front and rear frame reinforcements or additional repair. Search the board for the 998 and 999 recalls.

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/recall_clearance.html

In the end of all the fees, taxes and effort, you wouldn't save much at all if you found a reasonably priced car (that's the hard part.. most are asking beyond market value comparable to the US) for sale in Ontario, especially a private sale.

I hope this helps,
Mike

Last edited:

dans69ss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing against dealers and most seem to have nice cars but I think you'd find a better deal on a car from an individual. Dealer prices seem to be about $5-8K more.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as you have the car checked by a good local Viper Tech, you will be fine. Bought mine from eBay and had not problems at all. The problem is that people will purchase theirs on eBay without having it checked and that is where the problems arise and the bad stories come from. A GOOD Viper Tech will find all the bad things before you purchase the car. The best part, is it will not even cost you that much to get the car checked; only a few hundred dollars which is cheap compared to the purchase of the vehicle.

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine on e-bay from a private owner and had a mechanic check it out. Overall it was a great experience. The only problem was the title transfer took longer than expected, but went through.

My only suggestion is have a background check run on the seller - for both credit and criminal. The first Viper I was looking at had a seller that had a shady background. I existed from the deal and bought from a owner with a clean background.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I "found" my Viper on Ebay. After having a few Vipers on Ebay checked out, I made an offer to the selling dealer of the Viper I deemed to be in the best overall condition. He ended the auction after I sent him a deposit. The car was as described when my wife and I flew down to drive it back home. Less than 100 miles from the dealer, the temp guage maxed out. I called the dealer and they arranged to have a flat bed pick the car up. They replaced the faulty temp sending unit and all has been well. They paid for everything, including the flat bed, labor, part, and delivery to my home. They didn't pay for my return flight, but at $140 for 2 one way tickets, I didn't put up too much of a fight. That was 2 years ago. I have also bought a '03 Cobra and a '98 Tacoma in the past 2 years after finding them on Ebay. Both turned out to be great vehicles with no issues.

My advice would be that if your gut feeling says the buy could be fishy, then go with your gut and look at another vehicle. Not just on Ebay, but anywhere.

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi
I bought my Viper from a guy down in South Carolina, had a company pick it up and **** it too Chucks in NY to service the car and perform the recall work/ and daytime running lights, along with a recall letter.

Had a company called TFX International out of Toronto that specialize in transporting high end cars from the states etc bring the car from NY to my house in Ottawa. They dealt with all the paper work etc at the border.

Then when you get your car finally have a local Canadian Tire check that your recall letter and that the daytime runnning lights work and they send off the paper work to RIV. Once that is complete go register your car etc.

Check out
riv.ca
TFX International

OP
OP
C

Cobra Comander

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi
I bought my Viper from a guy down in South Carolina, had a company pick it up and **** it too Chucks in NY to service the car and perform the recall work/ and daytime running lights, along with a recall letter.

Had a company called TFX International out of Toronto that specialize in transporting high end cars from the states etc bring the car from NY to my house in Ottawa. They dealt with all the paper work etc at the border.

Then when you get your car finally have a local Canadian Tire check that your recall letter and that the daytime runnning lights work and they send off the paper work to RIV. Once that is complete go register your car etc.

Check out
riv.ca
TFX International

Hey SuperSaiks, thanks for the tips.

Is that all that was necessary to change? Recallds and running lights? What about the speedometer? How much did it cost for the work on the running lights?

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found my first Viper on-line. It was actually advertised by a guy that still frequents this board, and is one of the best Viper owners I have met. I think he is on his third or fourth Viper now.

You can not only find good deals on the internet you can find good people too.

You know who you are. Thanks.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i purchased a lambo from ebay,just make sure any car you buy have it inspected.good luck with your search

RevLimit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I purchased a 2003 red viper from ebay. The company was Chicago Motor works. It was one of my best car buying experiences. The car was exactly as dealre described no surprise and quick delivery to Maryland. I would purchase from them again in a heartbeat.

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have bought several high end cars off e-bay - just do your homework, figure the price of a plane ticket into the deal and make sure payment does not happen till car/title is in your possesion.

I am also a pretty big-o-boy and kinda laugh when I tell them I know where they live if the try to screw me around :) Most individuals selling these kind of cars are pretty real from what I have found.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold a couple vehicles via ebay and I consider myself a honest seller, heck I even went out of my way to pick a guy up from Detroit Metro airport, drove him over the border, sorted out the cross border exporting at US Customs, etc.. and he drove it home back to Oklahoma and I didn't ask for anything extra, I thought he paid a good price for it and was glad to help him out.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my RT on ebay and i'm all the way over here.........
But Cuda man and Chad checked it out for me...

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes just daytime running lights the part is like 90$ bucks same as any other chrysler part number, and the recall work. You don't have to change the speedometer.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Helped my brother import a Z71 pickup to Canada just a few months back after buying it on ebay, all he had to do was change the daytime running light switch to the Canadian version and he was fine. The title turned into "Ownership" within 2 weeks.

If you're after a specific Viper, post details of where it is here, in all likelyhood one of us would be able to go take a look and give you our honest opinion on it's condition. As always, find a local Dodge dealer to the seller who has a Viper tech and pay for an inspection that comes to you only.

That way you can't really go wrong.

Regards,
Aaron

P.S. bought 3 cars off ebay, all were good experiences

OP
OP
C

Cobra Comander

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great, thanks for all your advice and support everyone!! Once I'm ready I'll certainly come calling if I find one and someone here is near by to go and have a look at it.

Jason.

T.C.z.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just to chime in... I would never ever purchase the car sight unseen and have it shipped to me. At worst, I would fly out, have the car inspected by a mechanic after my personal inspection, and then have the shipper come get the car as I flew back home. After you drive it though, you'll probably just want to drive it back home yourself.

OP
OP
C

Cobra Comander

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to chime in... I would never ever purchase the car sight unseen and have it shipped to me. At worst, I would fly out, have the car inspected by a mechanic after my personal inspection, and then have the shipper come get the car as I flew back home. After you drive it though, you'll probably just want to drive it back home yourself.

Absoloutely, no way am I just going to send my money away bases on pictures and info somebody gives me. My plan was to contact the seller, tell them I'm interested and if everything goes well with our conversation, I'd find out if anyone here lives close by to pop by and have a physical look at it, and if possible, take it for a test drive to make sure all is well. Then I'd fly down, inspect it again, find a mechanic to look it over again, seal the deal then.

And your right, I wouldn't ship it back, I'd wnt to drivr the sucker all the way home!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang