Buying my first Viper.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I am about to purchase a '95 R/10 for 40K. Yes it is a deal.

Do you think I will be disatissfied and should spend the extra money for a Gen 2.

I will use the Viper 2 to 3 times a week approx 400 - 800 miles a month. I wont be racing it unless I REALLY get the bug to do some low level 1/4 mile stuff, but realistically not.

Thanks for the help.

Also, if anyone would be available to a pesky newby PMing or even IMing you with some annoying questions let me know. lol

Reaction score
I am not the Viper aficionado (not yet) I have my first one on the way, 2001 RT. Anyway I have driven quite a few Gen I & II Vipers and both drive well but I figure the Gen II is a lot more amenities, AC, power windows, outside door handles to name a few.

I think that the Gen II's didn't start until 97' and they didn't make many RT's in 97, 98, but what I do know you will probably spend at least 15-20K more for a Gen II. Hey its only $$$ and you only live once.

Don't forget about the warranty factor also...

Later.............

OP
OP
M

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good points, thank you.

Fortunately the car does have a/c. I could add the Vipermania windows or the other ones, which I can't remember the name of now.

You pointed out the warranty issue. I imagine it is too late to get an extended warranty. I believe it must be within the first 3 years to get it directly from Dodge.

Perhaps someone knows a different company which will do a warranty for an older Viper.

I probably could get a Gen II for 13K more if I really hunted. Money, unfortunately is a concern but not my only one.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Regarding the ext. warr.
I bought a Chrysler "Added Care Plus warr." from Fitzgerald Dodge (they advertize on this board) for my 94 rt/10 . I bought it in july 2000 so you could probably still get one for that 95 Viper you are looking at, call them up to find out.
Cheers,
Scott

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds as if it's going to be more of a fun car, so a gen1 should be fine - mine's a daily driver so I definitely wanted some of the gen2 features - it just depends on what you plan to use it for. I just got mine a few months ago, so I'm not an expert, but if you have some questions, feel free to pm.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My thoughts on a Gen I and Gen II:

I've have had both.

Gen I:
* Takes more effort to drive..but I think a bit more fun to drive
if you are not caught in the rain.
* Not too many common engine mods compared to the GenII's
* Rt/10's are a great car to drive in nice weather, but **** in humid weather
* Leaks bad if caught in the rain.
* 1995 is when the Gen I's came together as far as better engine
* If you leave it in the parking lot, you may worry about it while inside the store.
* Side pipes sound nice!

GenII:
* Much more refined ride.
* More mods
* Lighter
* More of an eveyday driver
* Less problems as far as GenI's go.
* it has windows!! did i say it has windows!!
plus more...just my two cents!

Best thing about both cars are the support and brotherhood type friendship you get in here!!! great group of guys!!

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I originally purchased a '96 Gen I. I loved the car but found I didn't drive it enough to make it worth having. Even though it isn't going to be a daily driver for you, you might find that you wont be able to drive the 400-800 miles because you can't lock it up, no windows etc. You can't take it on a weekend trip because the windows and top take up the entire trunk, yes you can put the windows and top on and take them off when you get to your location, but again you lose the ability to drive to your location as a roadster.

Again they are both great cars and you can't miss with either Gen I or II but IMHO a Gen II is more practical and allows for greater choices.

PS I owned the Gen I for a year put about 2500 miles on it. I bought a Gen II coupe and put on 9300 miles in 14 months. Gen II's are just easier to drive.

Brad

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some people on this board have not been humbled by the downturn in the economy so you'll get responses that pay no regard to the monetary factor. If you can get a good deal on a Gen I and like the styling and amenties of the earlier models, then you can't go wrong. The 95's are good cars from what I've heard and you'll save quite a bit over Gen II.

I almost bought a new car, but decided to go with slightly used and donate some money to farmers. As some have stated, you earned the dollars and can do as you please with it, but unless you are considering a GTS instead of the RT/10 you mentioned, I don't see the later model being worth the price. My decision to go with a '00 model was purely based on the color I desired (black) and other minor cosmetic reasons. It sounds like those same reasons are not factors in your case.

OP
OP
M

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All very insightful and informative posts. Thank you.

I don't even know any of you and I hate you all. Your posts are so thought provoking I am really rethinking my choices. ha ha.

Scott you are right I called Fitzgerald. They can do a 4 year/48,000 mile power train, stearing and A/c warranty for $1755. Sounds real good, unless someone knows a better one.

Slaughter thanks for the offer on the PMing I will take advantage of it. By the way what the hell do they feed you guys in VA instead of babies milk, Whey protein. lol

Keep the experiences coming even if they cause me more decisino headaches.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21