buying tips needed...

jeffgrice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi - new to the group.

Thinking about an early viper and I am interested in what to look for, tips, cautions etc.

Thanks!

Jeff

OP
OP
J

jeffgrice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marv,

I am looking for something < 40k....so this puts me in the very early years....

Thanks for the reading material!

Jeff

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best thing you could do is ask (even pay) a Viper Owner to go look at a car with you. If its not local to you, ask the group for someone near the car to look at it for you.

I made the mistake of being an un-educated buyer, cost me about $10,000 to get the car straightened out. Most of it was mechanical and the car was never in an accident. Service is big money and the early cars are out of warrantee now.

Make sure the tires are Michelin Pilot Sports. Original Tires were Michelin XGT. If the car has XGT Tires, you will have to upgrade to Pilot Sports ($1450 installed). Head Gasket recall work, if not done $2000. Look for cracks in the hood, common on early cars. A Problem that occurs when the hood is not closed properly. Check for fluid leaks- Cars that sit leak...will probably cost you between $1500-$2000 to get the leaks fixed. Look at the side sills or rockers. If you can see small spots of bubbling paint then the rivets are wearing through. The rivets hold the insulation in place inside, the heat from exhaust pipes heats the rivets and the paint pops off. Repaint the sills around $600.00
Check out the rims real close. They are powder coated. After a while the powder coat will chip and brake dust gets in and they are a problem keeping clean. Plus many times you will find some curb rash (owner scraped the curb by mistake when parallel parking).
Check out the condition of the soft top and side curtains. If not in good condition then you will have to spend some money getting a better set. Try the top on the car, many times they blow up in the back damaging the side rails at the front latches. The soft top, side curtains and back glass all came with storage bags, check to see if they come with the car. Make sure you get them too, sometimes when dealers and owners sell the cars they will hold these thing back, sell them later on e-bay and cash out.

Good luck! If you get the right car you will be very happy, wrong car will be ****.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's some info:

Buying a 1st Viper Tips

1. Establish your financial range.
2. Determine what is affordable in that financial range.
3. Do the above by searching ebay, autotrader.com, cars.com, and especially the viper club sites, like viperclub.org, .com, and viperalley.
4. Contact your insurance company to get your insurance rates to confirm that the purchase will be affordable.
5. Determine any other limitations you might have, such as mileage, mods, and color.
6. When you find a car you are interested in, you will need to check the car out, and to do this, do the following:
a. first with a carfax report, a check of dealership records on the car, and whatever information the seller can provide you (including on maintenance).
b. then get the examined, either by yourself if it is near (and be sure to familiarize yourself with what needs to be looked at), or if it is at a distance, politely post (on all the viper forums) a general request for a viper owner in the area to check the car out for you.
7. Bargain on the price, and make sure ALL arrangements are clear before traveling to get the car, and if not previously personally inspected, make sure it is clear that the deal is contingent upon your final inspection.
8. Buy the car and make sure you call your insurance company before you go anywhere and get it covered!

Other Notes:
 Have it checked by a Viper Tech if possible
 Get an extended warranty if possible (find out in advance)

Buying a used Viper

While doing my research on used vipers, I assembled a general list of questions that I wanted to get answered, some of which were dealer-specific (at the bottom). It does not have year-specific questions. It does have a few RT/10 specific questions though. Hopefully this can be of help to you.

Used Viper Questions:

General:
1. Year?
2. Price?
3. Mileage?
4. Clean title?
5. VIN #?
6. Existing lien?
7. In service date?

Equipment:
1. Stock /original, minor modifications (K&N filters, smooth tubes), or more?
2. Exterior and Interior Color? (stripes?)
3. Nature of CD player (single in-dash, trunk player, etc.)?
4. Soft-top, hardtop, tonneau?
5. Bag for soft-top?
6. Bikini top and bag
7. Car cover?
8. Existing warranty (or provide additional)?

Condition:
1. General Condition (any nicks, scratches, window cracks, etc.?)?
2. Involved in an accident, damaged, repainted, etc.?
3. Condition under front bumper / spoiler?
4. Condition of top(s)? (Soft-top sagging? Exterior condition?)
5. How maintained? (One owner? How long have you had it?)
6. Leather condition? (Split/cracked?)
7. Tire condition? (Reasonable tread?)
8. Floor mats condition?
9. Smoker / non-smoker?
10. Nitrous used?
11. Used for track events?
12. Condition of the rocker panels (underneath)
13. Condition of inside door rocker area
14. Scrapes under front bumper / spoiler?
15. Bottomed out?

From a dealer
1. Processing fees?
2. Taxes? (out of state?)

Differences between Gen I and Gen II: there are three big ones (besides the exhaust) that stand out:

1. The engine
The majority of reference to "Gen I and Gen II" refer to engine changes as there are several differences between the two engines, not the least of which is horsepower: The latter Gen I was rated at 415 (I refer to Gen1.5) and the Gen II is rated at 450 (ACR & GT2 rated at 460 due to smooth tubes and filters).

2. Suspension
96 RT/10 had the upgraded GTS suspension pieces

3. The hood
On the Gen I they have "smoothie" hoods with no NACA duct between the headlights and no vents above the wheel wells. The cars look different from the front with these changes.

That said, I can tell you that both are a blast to drive. You can't go wrong with any Viper. Period.
In addition to many mechanical changes, there are lots of changes from Gen 1 to Gen 2 Rt/10 you can easily spot. Windows, airbags, steering wheel, differential housing, even how you open the door, the spedo was increased to 200 mph...

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey John,
Made a few additions to your original:

General:
1.Year?
2. Price?
3. Mileage?
4. Clean title?
5. VIN #?
6. Existing lien?
7. In service date?

Equipment:
1. Stock / original, or minor / moderate modifications (K&N filters, smooth tubes)
(headers, hi-flow cats, cat-back system, or more?) Rear wing?
2. Exterior and Interior Color? (Body stripes?) Interior mods?
3. Nature of CD player (single in-dash, trunk player, etc.)?
4. Soft-top, hardtop, or both?
5. Bag for soft-top?
6. Bikini top and bag
7. Tonneau cover?
8. Car cover?
9. Existing Factory warranty / extended warranty (or provide after-market warranty)?

Condition:
1. General overall condition (any nicks, chips, scratches, window cracks, etc.)?
2. Involved in an accident(s), damaged, repainted, etc.?
3. Condition under front bumper / front lip spoiler?
4. Condition of top(s)? (Soft-top sagging? Exterior condition?) Scratches on sport bar? Sport Bar cap missing?
5. How maintained? Records? (One owner? How many and how long) Documentation / Paperwork?
6. Leather condition? (Split/cracked/worn?)
7. Tire condition? Brand/Size (Reasonable tread?)
8. Wheels (condition, nicks, curb rash?) Stock wheels for the particular year or aftermarket
9. Carpet / Floor mats condition?
10. Smoker / non-smoker?
11. Nitrous or other power adder used?
12. Used for track events (strip, track, Viper Days and autocross)?
13. Condition of the rocker panels (top and underside)
14. Condition of inside the door / rocker area
15. Scrapes under front bumper / spoiler?
16. Bottomed out?
17. 998 / 999 recall work done (if applicable) and done CORRECTLY. Documented?
18. Head gaskets (Gen1) Documentation?
19. Hood alignment (symmetrical?) Any hairline cracks? Hinges keep hood up?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21