buzzing noise under passenger side dash?

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hear a buzzing noise under the dash just above the passenger side foot well. i hear in off and on. it is not continuous. it just eems to start and stop. buzzing is about the best way to descibe the noise. it is very annoying. the car is a 96 gen 1 if this helps any. i have no idea what the noise is. i reminds me of the sound of my fuel pressure regulator in my old pick up truck. any help would be appreciated.:dunno:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone have any ideas?

No personal knowledge about your issue; but, on a Gen II there is a door under the dash controlling the heat that is moved by vacuum. Perhaps there is something going on with low vacuum or something with the mechanism in the door. On my '02, that vacuum is sourced from the right outside rear of the intake manifold. I'd suggest removing that vacuum line so that there is no vacuum operating that door (plug the port on the manifold) and see if the sound goes away. At least you'll know what to look at next.

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another thing you could do, is use a grabber tool:

You must be registered for see images attach

With this, you can go up in behind the kickplate\heatshield on the passenger side. Sometimes, things fly up in behind there. I had a golfball once, and man was it annoying! It's possible you could have a receipt, or a bolt, or something else vibrating against the metal. Here is a pick of the heatshield i'm talkin about, courtesy of dave666:

You must be registered for see images

Worst case scenario, if you're sure something is back there and you just can't get ot it... pull the carpet back more, and remove the shield. Worth a shot!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That heat shield is spot welded in, which to do the Dynamat I drilled them out to remove the shield. I then installed 1/4" rivet nuts in the heat shield and used hex head screws from under the car in the collector area. PITA as that part is not meant to have that level of craftsmanship imposed on it.

OP
OP
W

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No personal knowledge about your issue; but, on a Gen II there is a door under the dash controlling the heat that is moved by vacuum. Perhaps there is something going on with low vacuum or something with the mechanism in the door. On my '02, that vacuum is sourced from the right outside rear of the intake manifold. I'd suggest removing that vacuum line so that there is no vacuum operating that door (plug the port on the manifold) and see if the sound goes away. At least you'll know what to look at next.

you are basically on the money. i talked to chuck tator and he told me there are 2 diaphrams that run off vacum right above the lower footwell. when they go bad they make a buzzing like noise. so now i have to figure out which one is bad. thanks for everyones help.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That heat shield is spot welded in, which to do the Dynamat I drilled them out to remove the shield. I then installed 1/4" rivet nuts in the heat shield and used hex head screws from under the car in the collector area. PITA as that part is not meant to have that level of craftsmanship imposed on it.

Don't know when this changed, but on a Gen 1 that heat shield (under passenger feet) is screwed on. Underneath it are a few wiring plug connectors and the brain box for the windshield wipers.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you are basically on the money. i talked to chuck tator and he told me there are 2 diaphrams that run off vacum right above the lower footwell. when they go bad they make a buzzing like noise. so now i have to figure out which one is bad. thanks for everyones help.

A maybe good idea... :D

Get some aerosol silicone lubricant. Have the blower fan running. Cover dash vents with a towel and tape a rag over the crotch vents. Squirt little blasts of silicone lube into air intake above blower. Cycle dash selector switch to move all of the damper doors. Give a little blast of lube in each position and cycle again. May make it quiet for little to no work just some slippery laundry.