Calling out a stock Gen II Viper

OP
OP
J

John_C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok everyone. Lets drop the invincibility thing going on in all our egos.

From his first post, he seems plenty reasonable. If he pushed a high 11 with only the mods he has, he is a very good driver.

I'm sure he could run with a Viper, and beat it a few times out of 10 runs. Its gunna be up to the driver. Slightest mistake goes to either car with those times.

And as far as people talking so much smack on the Z06, its a good car. Its a great car. I don't even know what else to say, but its American muscles just like us so lets just get along.

wow, someone with intelligence..thank you.

all i wanted to do was get a race and then i get Russ acting like a complete ass. now i know if i want to get to know some people and get a friendly race in, not to come on this board. geesh

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 19 years old, so not all Viper owners are old men. Actually, most of the guys on this forum are pretty young guys from what I've been seeing. I'd run with you whenever you'd want it.

I'm near Philadelphia. If you do ever happen to be in the area , or within 100 miles or so, give me a call 484.614.4757.

OP
OP
J

John_C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cool man, will keep you in mind if i am in the area..take care

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, I'll be making a few fall cruises with my Vette buddies in the coming weeks, shoot me an email and I'll let you know the when and where if your interested, it ain't over yet.

I would prefer to run you at a legal track however, on a tree, with printed timeslips, as well as video tape. Nice and clean, no coulda shoulda woulda, but your motor is bigger!!!:)

OP
OP
J

John_C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you got it man..drag strip is even better then street racing, so that will work

OP
OP
J

John_C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i cant tomorrow.

e mail me on yor next visit and i will be sure to be there

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh, and btw..the difference of performance between a GTS and an Enzo is faarrrrrrrrrrr from the difference of performance between a GTS and a Z06. An Enzo would "destroy" a Viper, while a GTS would "beat" a Z06.

I thought the Enzo runs 11.0, with the stock GTS at 11.7? Then the stock Z06 mid 12s? Sounds like about the same distance between the two pairs of cars to me? Half to three quarters IMHO isn't a "destroy"...

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the Enzo runs 11.0, with the stock GTS at 11.7? Then the stock Z06 mid 12s? Sounds like about the same distance between the two pairs of cars to me? Half to three quarters IMHO isn't a "destroy"...

Miles et is one thing but check the mph difference of 119-120[gts] and 130+[enzo]......Also Im willing to bet the Enzo is a high 10 car if driven correctly...It trap speeds would indicate a 10sec car....Comparatively the GTS has a 4mph advantage on the Z06 stock to stock...So its not quite the same as Enzo vs GTS....Its close with the Vette/Viper but not so Enzo/Viper.....

I saw a recent article with Vette god Heinricy running a 03 Z06 from 100-150 vs a mag driver in the GTS doing the same. No one pwrshftng...The GTS is almost 3 sec faster from 100-150....That tells me 1/4 mile doesnt tell the whole story...Even with the shorter gearing and lighter weight the Vette is still a bit short in all out performance vs the Viper. In just a 1/4mile the Snake has a 3-4mph edge. Just imagine if DC would apply what Chevy did, to the Viper...The ACR is good..But shave 200lbs and give it shorter gears...They did the weight thing with the SRT but used the same gearing...Wish they would have done it to the GTS....

The interesting thing to me in the Z06 vs Viper rivalry is that the Z06 guys that are beating GTS at the track are always pwrshftng vs the GTS guy shifting conventionally most of the time....They know how to wring out every last ounce of performance out of the Z. Much easier car to drive than the Viper..So it appears that et-wise they are dead even...Though the mph difference is still undisputedly in the Vipers favor...

OP
OP
J

John_C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey genXgts...what happen at Milan man? I heard there was a car giving you a run for your money there! a black Z06 with only mods being dr's and a shifter?? is this true? it cant be, its only a V8. :smirk:

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John C-Raggin' on a guy when you weren't even racing? Give me a break! Race him or keep quiet.

OP
OP
J

John_C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am not ragging on anybody. i am simply asking him a question. geez, any of you guys have a sense of humor around here?

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read the boards and you will laugh your socks off at many of the posts. Some we even meant to be funny.
Read your post about the drags. That's raggin' on him.
If you were there racing you can talk. If you were sitting on the couch, spare us.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey John, didn't have my GTS there that night.

I did the taping though.

Looks like we're hitting a drive to Hell with the Michigan Vette Club. I'll be there for that one.

Check out the thread in the Great Lakes section of the Corvette Forum, should be a good time, get out there!

OP
OP
J

John_C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cool, i will be there Ryan..hopefully in person we can joke around a little more and not take things so serious, like some other people on here.

oh, bte, whos viper what that? my buddy told me he raced a blue viper with white stripes, thats wy i thought it was you. He told me the ET's were very close, but he won the race.

OP
OP
J

John_C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey genxgts..well, it looks like you and i will be meeting at the Hell cruise in a few weeks...get ready to read my license plate and see what it says. :D

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought you guys didn't have plates in the front in MI though? :confused: hahaha.....

I'm short on cargo room in the Viper, if your not using your cupholder let me know if I can store a 20 Oz double double in there for the ride!

OP
OP
J

John_C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought you guys didn't have plates in the front in MI though? :confused: hahaha.....

I'm short on cargo room in the Viper, if your not using your cupholder let me know if I can store a 20 Oz double double in there for the ride!

LOL..i am glad you got a sense of humor, bud. Thats the way it should be.
Looking forward to meeting you at the cruise. see ya

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey genXgts...what happen at Milan man? I heard there was a car giving you a run for your money there! a black Z06 with only mods being dr's and a shifter?? is this true? it cant be, its only a V8. :smirk:

I can't believe I missed this post. GenXGTS e-mailed me about it. I was driving the blue/white Viper GTS that raced your buddy at Milan. I can only guess it was DBK (Dave) in a Z06 who also posts on this site that I ran against since I raced him 4 times. My hat goes off to DBK (Dave). He has a fast Z06 and he is also a heck of a nice guy. I had a total of 18 runs that night and lost the last 3 races (if you only consider ET that is and not reaction time :D ).

Anyways here are the results of our 4 races:

Race # Viper Z06
1 12.522 12.775
2 12.658 13.666 (looks like he missed a shift so can't really count)
3 12.367 12.326 (ohhhh so close)
4 12.759 12.344 (2nd to last run for night-track conditions terrible)

After I got settled in and got my hands, feet, and brain in synch I ran off about 6 runs in the 12.3 range. Oh and on my final run of the night I slid all over the place and lost 13.015 to another Vettes 12.251, ouch. :D

Maybe it was another Vette I ran that you are talking about. I just checked my time slips and it looks like on my 2nd run (I was an hour late to the track and drove directly 1 hour from my house to the track and started racing) I ran a 12.611 to a Vette #8's 12.625, maybe that is your friend. I also ran a 12.388 to a Vette #17's 12.397 later in the evening. Both close races, but the first one was no where near my best run of the night when I got back in the rhythm of drag racing- since I haven't done it for a year. So you can't judge the car on a rusty driver. :D

So Dave in the Z06 got me twice and I got him twice. I know it's run what you brung and all, but you can't really go around saying Vipers aint sheeeeeet and all when you modify another car and beat a Viper. I think Dave was running with modified exhaust, maybe a different intake, and drag radials, and maybe some other stuff-I dunno. You say he only had drag radials and a shift kit? I don't think so, hell his exhaust sounded a lot meaner than a stock Z06 and I mean that in a good way so I doubt it only had the stuf you say unless it was another Vette you were talking about. Bone stock right out of the factory I'd say a Viper will give you a .3 to .4 better ET than a Z06. By bone stock, I do mean just that-no drag radials, no intake, no exhaust, no nothing. Not that mine was bone stock as you can see from my mods in my sig, but I am just saying that in general. Vettes are one heck of a value for the money, I must admit. I love Vettes myself, although not as much as my Viper. When I originally bought my Viper my decision came down to a brand new Vette convertible, a 3 year old Viper GTS, or a early 90's Ferrari 348. I ended up going with the Viper and never looked back (well that is unless I am on the drag strip and looking back at the guy I am beating on most occasions). :D Lots of Viper owners owned Vettes in their past or still own one among their other cars.

As far as my drag racing goes, I absolutely refuse to run any tires but the stock Michelin Pilots that came on the car. A lot of the guys with the faster Vettes that night at Milan were running drag radials or maybe even full slicks judging by the fact that most of them were going through the water box. I would say that would probably give them a .2 sec advantage in ET. I remember someone saying for every .1 you knock off you 60' time it translates to .2 seconds off your ET. I want to run on exactly what I'd run on if I ran into someone on the street and I'm not going to pull up next to a guy at a stoplight and say can you hold on while I change out my stock tires for some slicks or drag radials. I also only run stock tires because I feel it is easier on the car.

My sole purpose in drag racing is to try and get that 11 second time slip with the setup I currently have. That means sticking with the stock tires even though I know if I slapped some slicks or drag radials on I'd be pretty close. If I beat the other guy fine, if I lose fine but I am trying to see what me and my car can do against that holy grail for me-the elusive 11 seconf time slip. Plus Milan ***** for track prep and I have only run on one other track (Grand Bend, Ontario Canada) but it rained the whole night and day of that track event and it ended up being not much better than Milan. And I also granny shift as I don't think beating on my car to get another .1 or .2 off my timeslip is not worth the cost of damaging the cars transmission or other parts.

As far as this whole Vettes vs. Viper thing goes though you have to admit bone stock out of the factory a Viper is one of the fastest cars ever made. The Vette Z06 is very close behind. But once you start modifying a car all bets are off. I mean I could take some run of the mill car, slap a supercharger and nitrous on it and beat a stock Viper. Does that mean Vipers aren't sheeeeet? No. Someone could do the same thing with a Honda against a Vette. Once you start heavily modifying a car you can't really refer to it as a Vette or Viper anymore. To me it's almost like NASCAR where the outside of the car may resemble a Ford Taurus or Chevy Monte Carlo or whatever, but it certainly isn't underneath.

So to sum it up John, maybe I'll see you in Hell!!!!! Hell, Michigan that is for your Vette cruise. :D Take care.

OP
OP
J

John_C

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can't believe I missed this post. GenXGTS e-mailed me about it. I was driving the blue/white Viper GTS that raced your buddy at Milan. I can only guess it was DBK (Dave) in a Z06 who also posts on this site that I ran against since I raced him 4 times. My hat goes off to DBK (Dave). He has a fast Z06 and he is also a heck of a nice guy. I had a total of 18 runs that night and lost the last 3 races (if you only consider ET that is and not reaction time :D ).

Anyways here are the results of our 4 races:

Race # Viper Z06
1 12.522 12.775
2 12.658 13.666 (looks like he missed a shift so can't really count)
3 12.367 12.326 (ohhhh so close)
4 12.759 12.344 (2nd to last run for night-track conditions terrible)

After I got settled in and got my hands, feet, and brain in synch I ran off about 6 runs in the 12.3 range. Oh and on my final run of the night I slid all over the place and lost 13.015 to another Vettes 12.251, ouch. :D

Maybe it was another Vette I ran that you are talking about. I just checked my time slips and it looks like on my 2nd run (I was an hour late to the track and drove directly 1 hour from my house to the track and started racing) I ran a 12.611 to a Vette #8's 12.625, maybe that is your friend. I also ran a 12.388 to a Vette #17's 12.397 later in the evening. Both close races, but the first one was no where near my best run of the night when I got back in the rhythm of drag racing- since I haven't done it for a year. So you can't judge the car on a rusty driver. :D

So Dave in the Z06 got me twice and I got him twice. I know it's run what you brung and all, but you can't really go around saying Vipers aint sheeeeeet and all when you modify another car and beat a Viper. I think Dave was running with modified exhaust, maybe a different intake, and drag radials, and maybe some other stuff-I dunno. You say he only had drag radials and a shift kit? I don't think so, hell his exhaust sounded a lot meaner than a stock Z06 and I mean that in a good way so I doubt it only had the stuf you say unless it was another Vette you were talking about. Bone stock right out of the factory I'd say a Viper will give you a .3 to .4 better ET than a Z06. By bone stock, I do mean just that-no drag radials, no intake, no exhaust, no nothing. Not that mine was bone stock as you can see from my mods in my sig, but I am just saying that in general. Vettes are one heck of a value for the money, I must admit. I love Vettes myself, although not as much as my Viper. When I originally bought my Viper my decision came down to a brand new Vette convertible, a 3 year old Viper GTS, or a early 90's Ferrari 348. I ended up going with the Viper and never looked back (well that is unless I am on the drag strip and looking back at the guy I am beating on most occasions). :D Lots of Viper owners owned Vettes in their past or still own one among their other cars.

As far as my drag racing goes, I absolutely refuse to run any tires but the stock Michelin Pilots that came on the car. A lot of the guys with the faster Vettes that night at Milan were running drag radials or maybe even full slicks judging by the fact that most of them were going through the water box. I would say that would probably give them a .2 sec advantage in ET. I remember someone saying for every .1 you knock off you 60' time it translates to .2 seconds off your ET. I want to run on exactly what I'd run on if I ran into someone on the street and I'm not going to pull up next to a guy at a stoplight and say can you hold on while I change out my stock tires for some slicks or drag radials. I also only run stock tires because I feel it is easier on the car.

My sole purpose in drag racing is to try and get that 11 second time slip with the setup I currently have. That means sticking with the stock tires even though I know if I slapped some slicks or drag radials on I'd be pretty close. If I beat the other guy fine, if I lose fine but I am trying to see what me and my car can do against that holy grail for me-the elusive 11 seconf time slip. Plus Milan ***** for track prep and I have only run on one other track (Grand Bend, Ontario Canada) but it rained the whole night and day of that track event and it ended up being not much better than Milan. And I also granny shift as I don't think beating on my car to get another .1 or .2 off my timeslip is not worth the cost of damaging the cars transmission or other parts.

As far as this whole Vettes vs. Viper thing goes though you have to admit bone stock out of the factory a Viper is one of the fastest cars ever made. The Vette Z06 is very close behind. But once you start modifying a car all bets are off. I mean I could take some run of the mill car, slap a supercharger and nitrous on it and beat a stock Viper. Does that mean Vipers aren't sheeeeet? No. Someone could do the same thing with a Honda against a Vette. Once you start heavily modifying a car you can't really refer to it as a Vette or Viper anymore. To me it's almost like NASCAR where the outside of the car may resemble a Ford Taurus or Chevy Monte Carlo or whatever, but it certainly isn't underneath.

So to sum it up John, maybe I'll see you in Hell!!!!! Hell, Michigan that is for your Vette cruise. :D Take care.

Good racing buddy! And yes, i agree, the Viper is one of the fastest cars out there, no question about it, and yes, the Z06 being right behind it. They are both great cars and they both have their advantages..I love them both.

Cant wait to see you guys, in hell!!..lol take care bud

OP
OP
J

John_C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh ya, it was that time slip..the 12.6x to 12.6x..he told me he raced a Viper with blue stripes. Both ran 12.6's and he said you beat him by .01 or so but he got to the finish line first. Anyways..good racing and looking forward to meeting [and racing..:)] you guys..later

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, I don't really care which car is faster. I have a 99 GTS and an 01 Z06. My company is closing and I can afford to keep only one of the cars - guess which one is outta here? It's not even close. Yup, bye, bye Z06.

For whatever that's worth....

Jim

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having too much fun up there Ryan!!?? Better get that fun in... Old man is coming 'round the corner bro! Get on down here and I'll have to make a suprise appearance you know where.... ! bling bling..