Can Dealer perform exhaust work?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most dealerships can do "cat-back" exhaust modifications, however many Dodge dealers may only wish to work with "Dodge" parts. Only a few Viper savy dealerships will take the extra time to do performance modifications outside the Mopar Catalog.
Cat removals are a big no-no due to emission controls which the dealerships are pledged to not defeat.
You should find a viper friendly dealership who has an experienced and dedicated ViperTech.

There are also "tuners" who advertise on this board who specialize in making such modifications. They do not have the constraints on them as dealerships do, however even then you may end up with a car "modified for racing use only, no longer street legal"
Best of luck.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is illegal you anyone including yourself to remove the cats. Most big shops will not remove the cats for you because they can get in big trouble from the EPA.

Your best bet if you want the cats removed, is to take them off yourself. Then install a temporary straight pipe, drive down to a muffler shop and have them weld or put a muffler in. Remove the side sills yourself first at your house then drive the car to the muffler shop with them off. This way they can not scratch it. Don't leave the muffler shop for any reason, you never know who might want to take a "Test ride" and make sure there are no leaks. This is what I did to mine and I have no cats. Also don't be afraid to use a non Viper tech (Midas) for the exhaust, its a no brainer anyone can do it. I don't think you will ever find a real Viper tech at a Dodge dealer to take the cats off.

OP
OP
P

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is not a good idea to remove your cats. It just makes the air more polluted. For track only cars it may be OK, but for streetable cars a good low restriction cat may be the best compromise.

No cats is illegal in every state.

Vipers like a little back pressure. Keep on cats...remove mufflers...

To cure warm sills paint interior with white high temp paint.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery