Can someone give an Update on Kumho's & Rocks

MR VENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone give an Update on Kumho\'s & Rocks

Have the OEM tires, only 7K miles, but the "rears" are so hard that the car gets "sideways" on a power shift into second. I know they should be changed (I think I will leave fronts original). Read some older and newer "threads" about the Kumhos throwing rocks. Since they have been out there awhile, what is your latest opinion. The Car is street use only and I want to keep it looking reasonably nice. Socal car, rain not an issue; not a daily "driver".

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Can someone give an Update on Kumho\'s & Rocks

the Kumhos will throw sand and stones on your car but they are definetely worth it hte traction is awesome with 610 RWHP and and 3:45 gears I can roll on the car full throttle in first gear and power shift into second with minimal tire spin.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

With the rears the black inner wheelwell and the painted lip get some sandblast damage but nothing outside of that. Fronts are a different story, side sills get alot. I have about 4000 miles and the rears are wearing good, fronts are in need of replacement.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the Kumho exta700s. They do pick up sand and small stones, this makes noise. I haven't noticed any sandblasting of the paint. Very good traction, no warranty, not for use in rain. They don't cost very much.

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I must be the unlucky one. My rear inner fender lips are virtually white from all the paint being blasted off. I will get them repainted and have 3m put on. Once who experince the traction, stock tires just won't cut it anymore.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

On the way up to the track, mt friend had to drop back about an 1/8th of a mile because he was getting pelted with "everything on the road"! And yes they stuck real well for the races.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gonabite:

If you have 18" wheels, what size Kuhmo's are you running?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks to me like he has the stock 17" wheels. I sure wish they made Kuhmos in 18"!

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Does the paint right behind the rear wheels, way under the rear bumper get chipped? I was wondering if 3M is needed as that is a large painted surface. Even though it is under the car.

Where can one get sheets of 3M?

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are those little patches of clear protective tape on the front of the rockers a factory clear tape? Can these be ordered separately?
Are there different thicknesses of generic 3M?

And to keep somewhat on topic, are there tires other than the stock 17" that do NOT grab and throw rocks / roadgrit blast the car?
Thanks

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The tires they are talking about are R-compound tires. They are road-racing tires that have a tread wear of 50 or less. Any normal street tire will not throw rocks to the degree mentioned in this thread.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guys, After almost 60,000 miles on my 94 mostly wearing XGTZs and MXX3s (and lots of autocross, a little time trial stuff) the area behind the tires will get like this, I think no matter what the tire.

[image]http://vca2.viperclub.org/gallery/data/511/36untitled1.jpg[/image]

Sorry, brain fade as to why it doesn't show up, so please cut and paste. Yes, the area behind the tire is white, and the side sill above the 3M stuff has no paint.

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Where do I get the 3M clear tape stuff?? I love my Kumho's on my 95 , and will be putting them on the 97 soon

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

36untitled1.jpg

Fixed it. Just your typical higher mileage, daily driver.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinusbeats