can you convert a 97-99 GTS without sidepipes to have sidepipes?

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry if its a newbie question, but i just like the look of the sidepipes......any downside to doing so?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, i was at tators and he had a GTS he was working on that had them...it looked bad @ss.

i think he said it would run $4000 with paint and all.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I converted my 98 GTS from rear to side exhaust. The most expensive part is the side sills, but if you might be able to find a deal on ebay. I still have the hole in the rear bumper where the exhaust used to exit and will probably get a piece that autoform makes to fill it. I just added B&B headers to the high flow cats and borlas that I was running. Since adding the B&b's my side sills are starting to discolor from the heat.

OP
OP
E

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I converted my 98 GTS from rear to side exhaust. The most expensive part is the side sills, but if you might be able to find a deal on ebay. I still have the hole in the rear bumper where the exhaust used to exit and will probably get a piece that autoform makes to fill it. I just added B&B headers to the high flow cats and borlas that I was running. Since adding the B&b's my side sills are starting to discolor from the heat.

how much did it run you? so i assume the 95-96 side sills are the same size and mounting as the 97+

BIGBADCJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, i was at tators and he had a GTS he was working on that had them...it looked bad @ss.

thats a damn rip off :eek: i could do it for a quarter of that and still make money.
I did mine of my F.E. for about 300 bucks paint and all. just go trade sills with a rt guy.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I almost wanted to change from side exhaust to rear. But decided against it because side exhaust is bada$$. It would have cost a lot of money though cause the side sills are very expensive.

OP
OP
E

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score

thats a damn rip off :eek: i could do it for a quarter of that and still make money.
I did mine of my F.E. for about 300 bucks paint and all. just go trade sills with a rt guy.

SOLD!!

i can actually get the exhaust part done easily and cheaply, so it would be the rocker panels that would be the bulk of the cost...... i can even do the paint work myself.

Anyone know any RT/10 guys who want to trade rocker panels? :D

BIGBADCJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
let me pick up my book monday morning, im pretty sure i had a guy call me 2 weeks ago with a 94 and he wanted to convert to rear exhaust. i am going right off the headers with my 97 and my other cars are already converted. what color is your car?

OP
OP
E

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i actually havent bought it yet, but the one i am flyin to tampa to look at/get is silver. but i am getting a 97-99 GTS either way so, le tme know what you can find me!!

OP
OP
E

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if you find someone to swap i would even be willing to paint the rocker panels to match his/her car if they pay for the paint.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my 99 gts done with side exit a couple of years ago. The shop ordered a gen 1 side bracket to support the pipe , cut a hole in the exhaust cover and welded polished tips. I also suggest an aluminum heat and trim plate around the exit hole that is riveted to the exhaust cover. I had the mufflers removed and put hi flo cats on. You would not believe the weight savings too. The stock system is very heavy. In the trash it went. Good luck.

KURT E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My RT-10 (2001) was switched by Woodhouse. Check my gallery. It can be done and look nice.

Kurt

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a former sidepipe ******...

Definitely a meaner look to the car. Be prepared for some extra noise, the cabin will be louder...

After 4 years, I've just gone back to rear exhaust...

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was considering doing this a long time back and researched it. I was put off by the additional sound levels this created in the cockpit. Just something to keep in mind if you like long 500+ mile drives. And yeah, you can throw away the stereo!

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how much more noise? i love the look but im about at limit for cockpit noise. with heads/cam, belangr headers, hiflo cats and corsa

VPRTKMIKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I did a 02 F.E. conversion. All I did was carefully measure twice and drill with a holesaw,then we finished off the opening with a hand made trim ring. The customer was extremely happy. The parts are available from ROE or I have also heard of guys using the Corsa track system. oh I almost forgot if you cover ares to be drilled with masking tape you have less of a chance of chipping paint(no painting required).

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think carefully before doing the switch, especially if your car is or will be modded. Unlike a stock Viper, a modded viper with exhaust 3 feet from your ear 100% of every drive in the viper, even to the gas station , gets very old. It took me about 6 months to convert back to rear exit. I enjoyed my viper MUCH more when put back to rear exhaust.

Gerald

BIGBADCJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt notice anymore noise, all i have are b and b headers and a piece of pipe connecting to the side. You can get some good flames going down the interstate on a downshift. If you have a big enough cam in your car it will kick up dirt clouds at an idle. All depends, my car cams so damn hard the doors dont even close right anymore :headbang: Dont cut a hole in your side sill just find some gen 1 sidesills, or trade with someone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456