CANCEL YOUR CONSUMER REPORT SUBSCRIPTIONS NOW!!!

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, Consumer Reports hates us. All the info below was relayed to me by my brother so I have no info other than what is printed here. They release a 5" x 7" book to subscribers called, "Consumer Reports Best Buys for 2007 Buying Guides" and the results are as follows:

Auto Ratings for Performance/Luxury Sports Cars

<ul type="square"> Car Ratings (Overall road test score)
Porsche 911 Carrera 96
Corvette Z06 93
Audi S4 88
MB SL 550 86
BMW 650i Coupe 85
Cadillac CTS-V 83
Jaguar XJ Conv 74
Lexus SC 430 73
Cadillac XLR 72
Dodge Viper SRT-10 67 [/list]
This is all the info I have so if anyone has the complete article please post it here. In the meantime let's all sell and buy those Porsche's &amp; Vettes since Consumer Reports says our car is like shiite. I'm gonna get out before the word gets out :eek:

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not put much stock in Consumer reports. If I wanted to but a toaster or an MP3 player, I might read about it on the stand, but I would not buy it. Most of the rags use some kind of criteria to make their calls that we would not use. They are more geared to providing info to people that base their purchase on a 3rd party, not someone that knows what they want in the first place.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
obviously like a lot of things DC doesn't do anymore, they dont payoff consumer reports either.

sparty116

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at most of the cars on the list. They are all luxury coupes, except the vette, which is hot right now. No surprise that the viper finished last.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In years past our industry has laughed at consumer reports as well. Any appliance purchased from JC Penney, was sold under their brand name "Penncrest". This of course was many years back. At the time consumer reports rated a Hoover Model #3101 the very best then you look on down the list at the various different models, and last on the list was the Pencrest model. This machine was made by Hoover with all the same parts, only a different color and different stickers and they were rated both best and worst.

Any time you want to see a real test of a product check the ASTM test results. Completely independent lab tests.

Consumer reports, (like many of the magazines), test the cars and report that the fastest best handling best braking best performing car looses because the other car has better cup holders.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seriously doubt many here have a CR subscription to cancel. The Viper is everything these children of the 60s at CR hate. It is expensive (they can't afford it) American (they hate anything American) and drinks gas--the worst of all sins.

Can they explain how a Viper is compared to an XJ, a 430, CTS-V??--really odd. And why an XLR and not an XLR-V? Because they probably could not get one in time to do the comparison. I have an XLR and an XLR-V. Both are much better cars than the 650, S4, CTS-V , 430 --I tried them all. The Viper represents everything bad about car manufacturers--I still don't know why they give the Z a pass--but I bet this is only temporary. I guess they haven't had any tops fly off like other Vette owners. Didn't drive it fast enough.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are all nice cushy rides.....with all sorts of comfort and convienence items and those great nanny interventions, they were spot on in their assessment!

Now........ had they done a top ten "Big Hairy ****, Balls to the Wall Best Buy Cars List"..........VIPER would be the ONE and ONLY ON THE LIST!

Now, go back and read that magazine for what it's supposed to be used for........buying your lawnmower and electric pencil sharpener............LOL!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who in the world would use Consumers Reports as a basis to make a decision on buying a car like a Viper anyway? Would you care to be associated with that person? We can be thankful that this article might steer the unworthy away from "our" car. It is exactly what it was designed to be, and if someone doesn't like it, there are plenty of different alternatives.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Just hold the magazine upside down, then you will find their ratings "right on".

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all the mechanical and technical problems I read here about the Gen 3, I can see why they rate it like they do. Dont dis the Vette too much.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all the mechanical and technical problems I read here about the Gen 3, I can see why they rate it like they do. Dont dis the Vette too much.

:confused:

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Would you care to give examples of what you have read or perhaps some personal experience with the Gen 3 :confused:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you care to give examples of what you have read or perhaps some personal experience with the Gen 3 :confused:
He's probably talking about that harmonic balancer bolt issue!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte