Car jack?

angleiron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which car jack will work for a stock 2001 RT/10? What is the minimum clearance that I need when looking for one? Any recommendations?

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a Sears Craftsman Aluminum racing jack on sale for $169 for my stock GTS. It has a 3 3/4" height when down.It is low enough to get under the car without raising it on boards, etc. There are others out there, Harbor Freight, etc., that are cheaper to buy. The main reason I got the Craftsman is their satisfaction guaranteed policy, but the jack is nice also. It has a magnetic tray to hold lug nuts, etc. Good Luck.

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just use a standard craftsman floor jack and take the pan off. the hole where the pan fits goes perfectly with the lift point on the car.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought an aluminum race jack at pep boys for $70.00. For that price, what's the big deal of having two jacks. My new jack wouldn't work on our suv so I need two anyway.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just replaced my el-cheapo aluminum jack with this:
http://www.brandsplace.com/0246-ap-200lp.html

WHY?
The aluminum jack had such a low mechanical advantage, such that with a shorter handle(1 foot in length added to the first section), It took 2 men and a small boy on the end of the handle to lift the front or rear of the car. Just not good for me, plus the drop rate of the aluminum jack was VERY sensitive; careful or it was down all at once.
Yes, the above jack is HEAVY, Steel, but is so smooth, has a high mechanical advantage, so lifting the car is a snap, even with my shorter handle (same overall length as I had with the aluminum jack). The steel jack is heavy, but then I only need to drag it around, and do no need to lift it. The low pick up point is 2 3/4 inches, and the low profile continues back 10 inches from the center of the lift point to the upward sloping side rails.
It was free shipping as well.

Later,

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought mine from Harbor Freight also. I like the rubber pad that it comes with. The frames on these cars are soft and easy to bend with some jacks.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RoadiJeff,
That is the aluminum jack I had (have) from Harbor Freight, and ............, see above.

Later,

OP
OP
A

angleiron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, just ordered a jack from Harbor Freight. I almost spent the $500.00 that some of the Viper vendors offer...not that I am cheap...just did not see the sense in doing that if one works the same as another.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery