Car pulls to the right

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.) Just a guess - Check all 4 calipers for proper function. Under hard braking from 100-60 (don't kill yourself), does it pull even more, or less?

2.) Stupid question. Are the new rear tires rotating in the proper direction? Some idiot put mine on the opposite way, and my car was all over the road. I didn't notice until someone pointed it out to me at a car show. Felt like a smuck.

3.) Check suspension parts for bends/damage.

4.) Check shock/springs.

Wow, I actually do know something. After looking in my general automobile repair manual, here is what it said:

Symptom - VEHICLE PULLS TO ONE SIDE:

1.) Mismatched or uneven tires.

2.) Broken or sagging springs.

3.) Wheel alignment incorrect.

4.) Front brakes dragging.

*Hope this helps. My brain's peak function is 2:00 AM. Any insomniacs out there?

Later
Later

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess; camber imbalance, too much right negative and/or not enough left negative camber. You can get a rough idea looking at the lower bushing cam bolts - are they pretty even from side to side?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...or, caster imbalance. These cars are very sensitive to small caster differences and there are 4 chances to get it wrong.

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, this may not have anything to do with your issue... but
it wont hurt to check it out...

I had a Suburban that did the same thing.. drove me crazy.
One of the brake lines was pinched. You couldn't see it because
the lines are covered in black rubber and all looked fine. I think when I took it in for a lube job the person grabbed the
line and bent it while putting grease in a zert. So what was going on was the brake hydraulic pressure was out of balance as one line was pinched and one line fully functional. The truck
would drive down the road pulling to the right. But when you
put on the brakes it was so bad I hated to drive it, thinking
it was going to throw me into another car.

I hope this may help with your situation....

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean!

Fix that avatar! What are you doing posting here with "P***** Club" below your car!

Don't make us excommunicate you.

And I don't think caster would make the car pull in a straight line; I thought caster is used to induce camber only when the wheels are turned. When travelling straight, the only thing taking the tire away from pure vertical is camber, right? Am I missing something, Obi-Wan?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keith,

Notice also that there is a red Ferrari in that picture. He and I were the life of the party (and some of the fastest on track) at TWS that weekend. Jack Puryear was selling that photo like hotcakes to lots of people.

Caster difference across the car will *definitely* cause pulling. It's the primary thing they adjust on oval track cars to make them turn left. Drivers just relax their grip and it turns in.

99 Sidewinder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The allignment is sensitive on a Viper. I had mine alligned and it pulled to one side. I ended up taking it to another place to allign it. I was advised by Chris at Snakepit Racing to take it to a place that has a laser allignment system and has experience with BMW's etc. I took his advice and mine is straight as an arrow now.
You may want to try another dealership or independent allignment shop.

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
two things:

1. most roads are slanted to the right for water drainage purposes. does it always pull to the right? try different roads.

2. allignment. if not done perfectly the viper with its low profile wide tires will be restless... try another shop and ask for a print out of the alignment machine

keep us posted

alex
02 gts
few other cars