car stereo / tablet install

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here's the latest on my tablet project. I installed a Sony mex/gs600bt head unit about a month ago because it has the option to be controlled by an app on a phone or tablet. Next, I purchased a Nexus 7 32gb tablet to be installed in conjunction with the stereo. I had a few different ideas on how to install the tablet, but at the end of the day, I realized that I would not be using it very often and didn't want to have it permanently installed. So I used the cubby below the stereo and made a holder out of paint sticks/fiberglass/glue and ebay special tablet holders. Then painted the thing black with plastidip. I would have painted it red like the rest of the dash, but I didn't have any laying around. I will probably change it later on down the road. Here is why I choose the tablet vs. double din stereo. ***I also bought extra center console that I am using for this. Still have OEM stereo so everything can go back to stock if I want to.

1: I don't really like the way the DD stereos look in the viper (personal preference here)
2: The tablet can come and go as I wish.
3: Programming is limitless with the tablet
4: It has GPS and accelerometer built in.
5: GPS program was $30
6: Torque program is pretty sweet for monitoring stuff with Bluetooth OBD2 dongle
7: Price!!!! Stereo was $200, tablet was $190.

There was a lot of glare taking the pictures with my iphone, sorry about that. I still have some programming stuff to figure out, but its just about there.

stereo1.jpeg

stereo2.jpeg

stereo4.jpeg

stereo3.jpeg

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I did the dd in my corvette and don't think I would ever do it again. Looked cool but fitment was always off a hair.

OP
OP
N

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No tape, Its actually fiberglass sheets and resin that is just painted black. I guess it does look a little like tape. It's not the prettiest mount to look at without the tablet in place, but is very strong and when the tablet is in place, you don't see any of it.

GPS, Sygic app. It is voice navigation and the maps are pretty current. I tried a few different ones but this is the only program who had the street I currently live on. Its a newer neighborhood. I actually download each state on the hard drive so there is no need for internet connection.

I'm doing a 1/2 mile event in a couple weeks and I'm curious how well the torque app will keep up with the speeds. It can do some simple data logging and I will compare the GPS's top speed vs. actual speed trap at the event.

I will update this when I get the rest of the programming up so you can see how I control the stereo form the tablet itself.