Car will not start..

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2000 gts. Car was cold, full tank of gas. The car started and idled fine for 2 minutes. Put it reverse and started backing out of gargae. Car just up and died like it was running out of gas. Tried to crank it over to no avail. Just kept cranking. Pulled a plug, no gas smell, plug not wet. What's the easiest way to see if i'm getting gas. I could not crank it over to see if I was getting spark-no one to help out. Would the plugs in this car get wet if there was no spark?
Any help would be great. I know there is a relay somewhere in the trunk or is there one as well located in the pdc? Is there a way to test these? What about if it's a spark issue?? If no spark, then waht should I check?
Thanks

OP
OP
P

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I just turned the key to the on position and there is no fuel pump noise. What's the first thing to check now?
Thanks

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Or try this:

Here's another reset method.
1. Put the key in the ignition in the OFF position
2. Cycle it from OFF - ACC - OFF 4 times.
3. Close and open driver door. It should beep.
4. Close and open passenger door. It should beep.
5. Close and open hatch door. It should beep.
6. Close and open hood. It should beep.
7. Depress locak and unlock buttons on the key fob till you hear 3 beeps.
8. The system is reset.

-Avi
97 GTS

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
or disconnect the battery cable under the hood on driver side by fuse box and let it sit for min or two then attach the cable again. something similar happent to me few months back and this worked. marc lublin thanks for your help on that one. i still owe you big time.

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuel pump relay in trunk, on drivers side, sometimes falls out, yes falls out, of its position. Check this first as is the easiest thing to check. If alarm is set, you will still hear the pump cycle when the key is turned on. Relay location is noted on the small black relay block cover.

OP
OP
P

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all. Checked fuses in trunk which are ok-I think. There are some funky looking pink fuses back there. The manual says they are one thing my service manual says they are another. What's up with that? Not sure if you can check relays to see if there working. I guess I should replace??? So what everyone seems to be saying, except tommy is that if the alarm has gone koo koo, it will cause the fuel pump to not operate? I hear no fuel pump noise when I turn key to on position.
I think I will pull battery cables and see what I come up with unless someone else has anything to offer.

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a shop manual you can look up the relay pins which actually switch the power to the pump. Pull the relay and short those two pins, if the pump starts up then you know that either the relay is bad or your alarm circuit is disabling the relay, otherwise it's the pump or the wiring to it that's bad.

OP
OP
P

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks bruce, I'll give that a shot. I find it strange that it just gave out like this. This car does have a secondary alarm system installed by the previous owner which is a clarion black jax. But when this sytem cis activated, it shuts the car down completley. No juice anywhere. Turn key when activated and everything is dead. When I turn key to on position, i'm pretty sure I can hear what sounds like a tiny click coming from the rear of the car, but not sure.

OP
OP
P

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried the alarm reset, but could not get it to work like the directions above. So I pulled the battery cable for 5 mins. Hooked it back up and still not fuel pump sound when key is turned on. I hopping to god it's the relay. I just put a new walbro pump in about 5 weeks ago, so I do not think it's the pump. For some reason i still feel it's the damn alarm. Not sure why though. Anyone have a fuel pump replay go out. This car has 21000 miles on it.
Thanks

OP
OP
P

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car still will not start-still no fuel pump noise when key is turned on. I have reset the alarm, I have disconnected the battery, I have checked every fuse, I have replaced the fuel pump relay, I have swapped the automatic shutdown relay as well. Battery is fully charged. I'm at witts end. I would be amazed if it's the new walbro pump, but I have no idea how to check that. I guess it's down to the dodge dealership it goes which kills me. Does anyone else have a clue as to what may be causing this?
Thanks.

Hostile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would check for power at the pump then work back to power source.
Use test light or volt meter.

Skeeter :confused:

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couple of other things to check.

1) have your battery tested and make sure that it's okay. A battery with a dead cell will still show fully charged but will not have enough potential to keep the car running.

2) There are two positive cables on the positive battery post. Wiggle the thin cable to make sure it has not corroded away at the terminal.

OP
OP
P

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bettery is about 4 months old(optima). It never had a battery problem. Damn thing will crank for ever without a power drain. I also have a battery minder hooked up to it as well. I tested the battery 4 days ago.
I will check the connections at the post in engine bay, but when I turn the key to the on position, every idiot light comes on, all windows work, doors, lights. Everything works except the damn car will not start. No pump whine at all.
Pump wise-fuel pump relay installed-I turn key to on position and I can hear a click from the relay. Pull relay out, no click. Not sure what this means besides the fact that power is getting to relay. I have 2 manuals, neither one shows me how to check the fuel pump or how to get to it. I know it's in the tank, but there must be a power cable outside the tank that I can run power to???? But how do I access the the pump??? Is it through the trunk??
Thanks once again.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had so many battery problems. I'd check that out. But if you might have to follow the following steps:

1. Put the key in the ignition in the OFF position
2. Cycle it from OFF - ACC - OFF 4 times.
3. Close and open driver door. It should beep.
4. Close and open passenger door. It should beep.
5. Close and open hatch door. It should beep.
6. Close and open hood. It should beep.
7. Depress locak and unlock buttons on the key fob till you hear 3 beeps.
8. The system is reset.
9. Stand on one foot and whistle, while tapping the top of your head with one hand and doing a circular motion on your chest with the other.

OP
OP
P

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks andrew, but I have tried that few times to no avail. I guess I will try number 9. At this point I'm willing to try anything.

OP
OP
P

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ulysses-I'll check that tonight.
Does anyone have a method of checking power to Fuel pump?

OP
OP
P

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pulled cover over fuel pump. Pulled fuel pump plug and tested each pin in plug. Had my gal turn key on and off while I tested each. No power to any pin except the green and white wire. Turn key on, fuel pump relay clicks, power at green and white wire, half a second later or less fuel pump relay clicks, no power to green and white wire. Does this tell me the pump is bad??? Or is there something else going on? I was told on another board that there is a relay under the dash tucked way up there that can go bad. It's some sort of kill relay??? I called a viper tech at a dodge dealership and he had no clue what I was talking about.
So based on this post, anyone have a clue??
Thanks once again.

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The manual for my '99 shows that the only relay in the circuit is the fuel pump relay in the trunk. I don't know why the relay is shutting off after a few seconds. Pull the relay and short out the pins, you now have a direct circuit (except for the fuse)to the pump. Then check the power at the pump. If it stays hot it has to be a bad pump.

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pulled cover over fuel pump. Pulled fuel pump plug and tested each pin in plug. Had my gal turn key on and off while I tested each. No power to any pin except the green and white wire. Turn key on, fuel pump relay clicks, power at green and white wire, half a second later or less fuel pump relay clicks, no power to green and white wire. Does this tell me the pump is bad??? Or is there something else going on? I was told on another board that there is a relay under the dash tucked way up there that can go bad. It's some sort of kill relay??? I called a viper tech at a dodge dealership and he had no clue what I was talking about.
So based on this post, anyone have a clue??
Thanks once again.

When you first turn the ignition on, the pump runs for a short while to prime the injectors and then cycles off. I am not sure of the software on the Viper, but it may require oil pressure or RPM to cycle the relay back on.

Given that you believe the battery to be in good order, that all the power grounds are good and so on I would say that the pump is Tango Uniform. Take the pump to the bench and test it with another battery just to be sure, then call up your favorite supplier and score another one.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you have power on the green and white wire, but the pumps isn't running / no pressure, Craig is spot on (pump not working or bad connection inside the tank).

When you turn the key on, the fuel pump relay is activated and will shut off after two seconds if there's no crank signal to the PCM (to indicate the engine is being started).

Regards,
Sean

OP
OP
P

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, there's power to that wire for about a second or so, then no power. That ***** because the pump is only 5 weeks old and not stock. On a trailer it goes and back to the tuner. So for the last 4 months I have driven the car three times. It was in the shop for 3, got car back and drove it 3 times or about 200 miles before this happened. Thank god it happened in my garage.