Carfax question

SRTV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking at an 03 Viper and something seems fishy about the deal. I received the carfax and it started as being "rented" by the first owner for 23 miles, then bought and used by a private owner which put 3000 miles on it, and then sold it to another person that put about 7000 miles on it. The carfax is clean, but the price that they want to sell the car for is too good to be true. Could the car have suffered damage yet not been reported by carfax? Could it be a Katrina flood car? I know that if a deal seems too good to be true it probably is, but the carfax is clean! What do you guys think??

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Carfax, carcheck, etc, work off the same national insurance and DMV/BMV database. Carfax only can report what is reported to them. There can even be reports on the national database that are not reported to Carfax. So, a car can absolutely have had minor damage all the way to being totaled without being reported to Carfax. A vehicle can be repaired by several ways that would not be reported. Privately, independent bodyshops, dealerships not making an insurance claim and other ways that would never be reported to Carfax.

I, myself bought a late model Mercedes that had a squeaky clean Carfax but yet had in the recent past significant body damage to the rear. It had been repaired by a dealership but was paid privately by the owner and no insurance claim or DMV report was made. Only after I had it extensively checked out did I discover the damage. It took quite a bit of digging because the repairing dealership had done an excellent job in the repair. I bought the car anyway but the Mercedes dealership had to come way down on the price after initially playing hardball, claiming via Carfax that it was damage free.

Even Carfax's buyback guarantee only applies if you can show they did not report something that had been reported to them. Many people think their buyback guarantee means if their report shows clean, and it turns out there is damage, they have to buy the car back. That is not the case. Carfax is a tool. It is a reference point and I would recommend it as part and only part of checking a vehicle out. Carfax and the like are hardly absolute references and it would be a mistake to depend on them as such.

Last edited:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats too good to be true?? I've seen 03' SRT's down as low as low-mid $30's, especially if its Red.... Thats just the current market for even a decent one these days.. Maybe $38-$39 for a perfect, under 5k mile car..

Just check it out well.. Look for signs of paint work, body repair,etc.. It probably was a leased vehicle.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck got totalled bacl in 02. Paid out and went thru insurance. I bought it and fixedit. Sold it and to this day carfax never showd it