Cat removal on obd 2 cars

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removing the cats by this boards consesus,Seems to Provide a viper with a few more HP cooler side sills and a lot better sound.Is there a patch or rewire To keep the check engine light off? Bruce

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be testing one in the next few days. I will provide everyone with feedback. BTW-
I have a 2001, which are the most sensitive year for triggering the light.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 99 with a complete Belanger header/exhaust system w/o cats. Runs great, but the c/e light is on constantly. I would be thrilled if someone came up with a fix; it's really annoying and somewhat disconcerting.

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After the computer is left alone for about 2000 miles the light will go out and stay out. This has been the fact on both my 98's and on my 97. Or you can get a Mopar factory perf. computer that will ignore the diff between the fr/rr sensors.

PEace.

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was my understanding that the 2000 and 2001 became increasingly sensitive. I'm not too sure you can apply your experience on the '97 to the newer systems. Appreciate the input and sure do wish you were right.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SNKBYT,

You should not have a light with your 97. No 97 and earlier vipers will set a 02 code for cat delete. You have something else.....maybe a bad sensor.

As for 98 and newer, most get the light but there are a few, like a 01 that was just done locally and with over 1000 miles it has yet to see the light!!?????.

High flow cats are the only way to go if you want to run cats(they may not cancel a check engine light on 98' and newer vipers). Feel free to contact me for 3" high flow cats. They are only $ 125.00 each.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

DonMc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it don't know about others but the 3" hiflo cats that i put on my 00acr do set the o2 light but not a rear o2 sensor (as i suspected) but a heater sensor failure due to warm up sensitivity timing (probably longer wire or more likely 2 extra connectors!!)..i know this has been discussed many times on this board just a heads up that heater failures may be the problem not rear o2s, unless you have removed the cats...has anyone tried the 2001 reflash tsb on a 2000 model pcm??

Arthur R Davis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had high flow cats installed on my 2000 GTS and have got about 650 miles on them. No other mods such as computer ect., and there is no engine light or other problems. The cats are from Roe and the sound is much better, with only a little reverb inside. The sills anf floor are a ton cooler(this is why I installed them). The sound is noticely louder though(I like it). I didn't wiegh the cats, but there was a substainual weight difference in them.

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Arthur:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
The cats are from Roe and the sound is much better, with only a little reverb inside
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which cats did you use from Roe?

I was hoping to use the Roe Racing round cats and cut the cat out, use wide stainless strip clamps to reattach the new cats. Want to do it at home without welding. Is that how you handled? I too want to change for cooling the sills and car, too hot after driving it for a while. Sound wouldn't bother me either.