Catalytic Converter Failed Inspection

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got a call from the auto-shop (NJ state certified inspection) and he said the car is failing because the catalytic converter sensor is "no ready" or something to that effect. He believes it is fine since the check engine light is not on. He suspects that possible the battery drained or got weak over the winter and it lost the code. His thought is simply to keep driving it until it resets. I have already put 500 miles on it this past month. Any one have ideas what the cause could be and what the fix is?

It is a 2001 GTS. Thanks!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes drive the car steady,(no stopping at all) for about 35 to 40 minutes at a steady speed of about 55 miles per hour, it will go- if you dont do this it wont set=have all accesories off( cause is from dead battery or batt disconnect, period- nothin else

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems odd he would get a not-ready and the CEL was on unless it just failed... I think for the CEL to be illuminated the test must fail multiple times.

When they do inspection they actually force the computer to run the tests through the OBDII interface (as opposed to just checking stored codes). This would seem to indicate the test failed (not-ready or an error with the sensor) but no code was present.

bluesrt knows far more than me, but I'm not sure how a low battery would cause this unless there is a genuine issue with the sensor but it wasn't recorded by a CEL, which would still mean a sensor problem.

Just thinking out loud.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its not the low battery causeing the not ready satus, when your battery goes dead,it automaticly resets all the moniters in the computer,this goes for clearing codes to, so the only way to re-set the moniters to ready status,is to drive it throught the so called,drive cycles, to make a long story short, the states does this so you cant cheat on a emmisions inspection if you have code issues.

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, I get it now... it's reporting "not ready" because of not enough cycles in memory with no issue.

Thanks!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a good shop in morris county that might be able to help if you need it. right off rt23

Randomaccess

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me when I first got mine in march. I suspect folks with their car up for sale don't drive them... They sit and battery dies and computer memory is wiped.

The dealer told me to drive 300 miles and don't let the tank fall below a quarter full.. That did the trick for me.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious if you go to any of the northern NJ cruise nights ? What color is your car ?

OP
OP
O

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks gents! It is time I hit the road with this ****. The battery did die about a year ago, in the summer (prior to the winter). While I have put 500 miles on it, it has not been in one sitting (ahem... one driving). So I am going to fill it up (so it doesn't drop below a quarter tank) and then go for a 50 minute, straight shot at a steady 55 mph. Which, by the way, is EMBARRASSING to be driving a steady 55 mph (of course, if I am in a parking lot doing that speed... that is another story).

v10enomous - I have a Sapphire 2001 GTS with white stripes (not silver). I have GOT to get out cruisin'. I went into hibernation for a few years. Where are the cruise nights? Is there a link?

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will be anxious to see if this works for you, Obsidian. I am wrestling with the same issue.

OP
OP
O

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll keep you posted Banton. I was planning to do it today, but it is friggin' raining, and rain in the forecast for the entire weekend. So next weekend it is....

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bro, clear your mailbox - it's full. A few years? Are you kidding me? Even your entrepreneurial side has to take a break sometimes! lol. :D

What you need to do is get your ass out with Phil and I... and break her loose a bit.

PM me your cell.

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll keep you posted Banton. I was planning to do it today, but it is friggin' raining, and rain in the forecast for the entire weekend. So next weekend it is....

Thanks. Hopefully you will have better luck than I. I went out on Sunday and drove ~50 miles at 55-60mph and the cat monitoring is still reading "Inc.".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235