Catback on a '93 RT/10

kilrb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been reading up quite a bit on the forum, trying to decide what catback to go with to make my '93 RT/10 sound a bit more like a Viper should. I have had louder cars, and I'm really not into obnoxiously loud exhaust, and I have had a Mustang with wicked drone, and I definitely don't want to have another car that produces an obnoxious drone in my cruising rpm range. That said, it sounds like the Corsa catback is what I want, but I can't seem to find anyone selling a Corsa setup for the Gen I Viper. It looks to me like Belanger and Roe's setup are the only two options. I'm thinking about going with the Roe catback, but I'm thinking it might be louder than what I'd want. I had read about someone using the Corsa catback designed for the Gen 3 or 4 Viper, but haven't been able to find any posts about how to make that product work; ie. does it require cutting and welding? Any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because your Gen 1 Viper has side exhaust, there is not much factory system to change. Inside your side sills there is just a muffler and a cat. These are welded together, so, a cat back is not feasible. You could change to a high flow cat and muffler set-up but that is loud for side exhaust. (Remember this exits right next to your ear). Many have tried various combinations but these are tough because of the factory configuration. Also, contributing to the sound of your stock exhaust is the lack of any cross-over, and unfortunately there is no way to fabricate a cross-over. ( I know I have had two of these)

Embrace the sound of your Gen 1! So what if it sounds like a UPS truck!

Any modification is going to be louder than what you are asking for and there will be drone. Be sure to attend as many of the Viper events as you can and listen to what other systems sound like. As time goes on I am seeing less and less Gen 1's at these events, so welcome!

Also be sure to add where you live to your profile. People are likely to offer local help when they know where you are!

OP
OP
K

kilrb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, thanks for the response. The term "cat-back" has been beaten into my head from my C5 Vette days. I was looking at the Roe highflow cats/muffler combination. I spoke with Chuck Tator regarding upgrading to the 94/95 exhaust hanging brackets, and I asked him how loud he thought the Roe cat/muffler combo would be on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being stock and 10 being freaking obnoxious, and his response was 6 or 7. And from what I hear, he's installed quite a few of these systems. That's probably louder than I want to go. Truth be told, I don't hate the current sound, I just wish it idled just a little bit more manly sounding...

Dan Aseere

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As I have stated many times on this forum I have been to most all the VOIs and have heard just about any exhaust you can imagine. and all just seem to make the bad notes louder. Keep the factory setup!!

OP
OP
K

kilrb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had NO CAT and Borla exhaust on my 94' RT. I thought is sounded pretty good. Headers would have been primo.

Kind of hard to hear from the other cars.... but here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lidqPzJ9KEE
Damn, that's a hell of a good run for a nearly stock '94! It definitely sounds like ditching the cats makes the car a ton louder. I'm still holding out hope that I can find a way to make the Corsa mufflers work. I saw Jay Leno do a show on his '93 with the only modifcation being Corsa mufflers, and I thought they sounded nice, but not too loud... I'm also giving a lot of thought to just leaving it alone after what Dan and Steve posted...

OP
OP
K

kilrb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called Roe, and spoke with Scott, who tells me that about 5 years ago, he switched from using Borla mufflers, which were quite loud, to B&B mufflers that are the same as the Gen 4 factory mufflers. He said that they're great on drone, and aren't as loud as his older setup. I'm wondering if you guys who are telling me the Roe system would be too loud for my taste have possibly only heard the older, louder setup? Has anyone heard a Roe that was bought in 2008 or later???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32