CCW Wheel Question

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am looking at buying new wheels and I like the CCW/Purners but I am concerned about maintaining the shine on a non-clear coated wheel. Does anyone have any experience with CCW wheels? How much polishing do they need? Is the polished look worth it or should I get clear coated like wheels (HRE, etc)that don't need polishing? I like the fact that you can polish out scratches on non-clear coated wheels (rather than having them re-cleared). Any input with be appreciated. Thanks

RSI Unlimited

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to www.zoops.com They have a product called zoopseal that works great. The kit sells for about hundred bucks or so, but that beats an afternoon in the driveway rubbing your fingertip off. :2tu:

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keeping the inside of the wheels clean can be somewhat of a pain. I haven't tryed the zoop yet but a good coating of sealer glaze (like you use on the body work) really helps keep the shine up for a lot longer.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I like the Purner (CCW) rims, I will NEVER do bare aluminum again. Too much work IMO to keep them looking good, unless you stay 100% dedicated or own a garage queen. No more burned finger tips for me...

That being said, I prefer the Purners over the HRE. Why? I prefer the look of a one-piece rim and they are reasonable priced. But I would spend an extra $200 and get them clear coated, or another $600 for chrome.

OP
OP
D

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. How much time did you have to spend keeping them polished? Did you do it by hand or use a polisher? Thanks

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Purner's I had were for the Gen II, and they looked similar to the ACR rim. Therefore, using a typical machine was not feasible since the holes were so small. I tried attaching a special small pad to a regular drill, but that took just as long and seemed even more difficult. Keep in mind, this is with the wheels OFF the car. Trying to polish them ON the car was nearly impossible, at least with the ACR type rim. To keep them looking really good, I would say once every 2 months was needed. Keep in mind, my car was/is a driver (about 500 miles per month). To jack the car and take off all 4 wheels, retorque properly etc..., figure an hour. Add another hour for each rim to do properly. Total time about 5 hours. I'm sure with the newer Purner design (dual five spokes) you could cut this time by an hour or so, but it's still a PITA if you ask me. Not trying to talk you out of Purner's, as John is a true Viper guy and his products are great.... But if I bought another set I would get them cleared (via spray or powder coated) or chromed. There is a reason the factory rims are cleared, and IMO they don't lose any shine and are sooooo much easier to care for....

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
chrome is the only way to fly!!!!

6400IMGP0501-med.JPG

6400asanti_2-med.JPG

vd..

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Look at the Forgelines. They offer a good compromise, polished and cleared plus Viper Racing League approved.

For polish, Griots makes a paint sealer that works very well on wheels. Cost is about $17.00