Chad, Do you need another McViper?

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This a posting from the Local CL that I found,

1996 DODGE VIPER RT/10 166 IN THE WORLD (santa cruz)

Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2008-04-09, 5:51PM PDT

LIMITED PRODUCTION, SPECIAL EDITION RED & YELLOW VIPER WITH ONLY 23K MILES. UPGRADES INCLUDE: PROFESIONALY LOWERED AND WITH THE FOLLOWING BEING RECENTLY INSTALED BRAND NEW, PILOT SPORT TIRES, EBC BRAKES, RED POWDER COATED CALIPERS, CLUTCH, FUEL PUMP, REAR END & HALF SHAFTS, INTERIOR, CAT BACK EXAHUST SYSTEM THAT SOUNDS AS RACEY AS NASCAR AND ALL FRESH FLUIDS LIKE COOLANT, BRAKE, CLUTCH, MOBIL 1 & TRANS AND A NEW PIONEER STERIO SYSTEM WITH SPEAKERS. MAJOR DOLLARS WERE SPENT ON IMPROVING & GETTING THIS VIPER DIALED IN PERFECT. $44,000 408-223-1857 COME BY FOR A LOOK & LISTEN, YOU WIL BE IMPRESED.
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still love that color combination. It is just one heck of a color combo. Compliments to Dodge with thinking of it and being daring enough to do it.

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still love that color combination. It is just one heck of a color combo. Compliments to Dodge with thinking of it and being daring enough to do it.

As I understand it and if I remember correctly, the Viper Design Team was trying to decide on a single special color scheme as a commemorative and created three options. When presented to the powers that be, they said,"Let's do all three!" So the McViper ( Ferrari), White and Blue Stripes( Shelby) and the Black with Silver stripes(Harley Davidson?) were born.

Somebody here probably knows the whole story and can fill in the blanks!

Last edited:

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I understand it and if I remember correctly, the Viper Design Team was trying to decide on a single special color scheme as a commerative and created three options. When presented to the powers that be, they said,"Let's do all three!" So the McViper ( Ferrari), White and Blue Stripes( Shelby) and the Black with Silver stripes(Harley Davidson?) were born.

Somebody here probably knows the whole story and can fill in the blanks!

After they did that, they said "those are good, but now it's time to really knock their socks off" . . . . and the red with white stripes(Perfection?) was born . . . . and that's the whole story!!:D

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could ALWAYS use another McV, just can't afford a 2nd one right now. I have a birthday coming up next month if anyone wanted to send me a card with $44k in it :D

As for another McV story, I can't remember all the details, but Jon B told me something about how one of the Dodge execs was talking to a Ferrari exec about the McV at an event and the Dodge guy said they thought about putting a prancing Sneaky Pete emblem on the fender area (to completely ripoff Ferrari's prancing horse emblem) and the Ferrari guy was like "oh no, we would have to sue you then!"

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the story I heard at VOI2 was that Lutz was not happy about Ferrari wanting to sue on the Viper red color and actually Chysler then owned or had part ownership in another of the Italian auto companies(I think Lambo but I could be wrong). Viper red is actually an Italian car company color. In order to mess with Ferrari, the McViper was born with red and yellow combination.

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"If I remember correctly, the story I heard at VOI2 was that Lutz was not happy about Ferrari wanting to sue on the Viper red color and actually Chysler then owned or had part ownership in another of the Italian auto companies(I think Lambo but I could be wrong). Viper red is actually an Italian car company color. In order to mess with Ferrari, the McViper was born with red and yellow combination." -DoctorBob

DoctorBob, You are right, the company was Lamborghini. At the time Chrysler had part interest in them. When Chrysler begin the V10 design, it was a cast Iron truck engine. Chrysler did not have a working prototype, just drawings. They sent the drawings and engineers to Lamborghini, where the Lambo engineers refined the design to make it aluminum and reworked the heads to make in all fit. They then cast all the components for something like 15 engines and assembled two prototypes. Then they sent everyone and everything back to Detroit to finish the engine development.
So the question that begs to be asked is, "Are Vipers really Lambo powered?"

You know, we should thank Ferrari for their elitest attitude. Without it ,we wouldn't have had the Ford GT40 and now the McViper....:D

Last edited:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, we should thank Ferrari for their elitest attitude. Without it ,we wouldn't have had the Ford GT40 and now the McViper....:D

One day a friend asked me "why does your car have yellow wheels?" and I gave him a general answer like "to tick Ferrari off", and he was like "oh, so you're car is like a Ferrari ***** slapper?" :rolaugh: I love the McViper nickname, but after that day its other nickname became "Ferrari ***** Slapper" :D I've thought about getting the tag 4RESLPR, but I don't think enough people would get it (we get 7 spaces in GA)

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, Maurice, you should know since you wrote the damn book.:D I just wonder how much stuff you took in the middle of the night when everybody was sleeping at the early VIOs. Just messing with you.:rolaugh: I have never been much of a collector although when I redid my garage this year I framed several signed posters from the artist I got at a couple of the early VIOs. Bob

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, Maurice, you should know since you wrote the damn book.:D I just wonder how much stuff you took in the middle of the night when everybody was sleeping at the early VIOs. Just messing with you.:rolaugh: I have never been much of a collector although when I redid my garage this year I framed several signed posters from the artist I got at a couple of the early VIOs. Bob

Hey DoctorBob, I think there is some confusion here. While I am friend of Maurice's, I am not him! I only have one Viper not 3:)

I got my information from a Viper book put together by the Consumers Guide. I have had that book since the Viper first came out. That little bit of information about Lamborghini's involvement for some reason stuck with me almost 16 years and I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night:D

There are few people as knowledgable about the Viper as Maurice, Jon B is one of them. And there is probably no one with a more extensive collection of Viperabilia.

A little plug for Maurice's book. It is a must buy for anyone interested in buying a Viper!
Maurice's book doesn't deal much with the development of the Viper. It is focused on the differences by Model year and Body type. Most importantly it points out the things you need to know and consider when selecting your Viper for purchase.