Changing cast to forged pistons

OP
OP
B

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In conclusion, what I found in these last couple days is that a piston swap is possible, however, not worth the time and money.

If you are going to do it be sure that you check everything in the motor, twice. Be sure it doesn't need any other wear items replaced such as rings and bearings.

I would personally recommend having the block honed and to just get new piston rings. Although both Chuck and Doug agreed that the rings can be reused if the clearances are within spec, my conclusion is that new rings would be best with the new pistons.

New rod bearings would also be a good idea for piece of mind, but are not technically necessary.

Main bearings are not necessary during this swap, but it would be a good time to inspect and replace if needed.

The crank must be rebalanced to the new pistons and rods. I talked to Todd at Arrow today and he confirmed that they rebalance when swapping pistons.

You will need the rods for the forged pistons as they are different than the cast piston rods. The cast piston rods are longer(?).

I hope this helps anyone in the future that is thinking about doing this swap. I wish there was more info straight from the professionals to give more credibility to the findings.
Just do your research and find out if it will work in your situation. Otherwise just get a motor with forged pistons already in it ;)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like a better plan going the route you said. put the engine in, dont beat on it, collect cash and then send it out to do it the right way.....good move !

trust me, its worth it to do it the right way....i tried a few BS ways of saving money and in the end it bit me in the @zz.

keep us posted

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the bearings seat just fine after being removed, ask your Modern shop
How else do you think an auto tech is supposed to check if it is within specs during an inspection?
Have you ever heard of plastigauge?

You're going to have to try a lot harder to make yourself look smart; your spelling sure isn't helping
BTW, the term is MIC not MIKE ;)

Your trying to tell me Doug Leven at DLM and Nick at Modern ADVOCATE putting used pistons rings and bearings back into of all things a Viper engine and thats flat out WRONG as Nick at Modern (done many motors over the years for me) would think you have a screw lose.My spelling may be horrible but the facts are i am trying to rationalize with a person who wants to reuse parts that are not made to be reused after an engine has been run .EVERY person replying to this thread has told you the same thing yet you dont want to listen because listening means spending money to do the job the proper way.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS you dont need rods if you get CUSTOM pistons made in the exact size of the old cast ones.

fastlane8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree!Go with better quality rings from Total Seal(coated),and better quality rod & main bearings from Clevite H series,also coated("Calico Coatings").The only thing with custom pistons,your rods will have to be bushed for floating pins.You are already there,so do it right!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog