Changing only Front or Rear Tires and not all four?

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My relatively new Sport Cups, now with 11 hours of track use, took an awful beating at Roebling Road Raceway a couple weeks ago. The track is composed almost entirely of nothing but sweepers and one long straight. The track was a hoot, very fast and with lots and lots of drifting, but it desperately needs repaving (scheduled for this summer) and took about 90 to 95% of the tread off my front tires and about 70% off the rears. I’ve since secured another four new tires from Jon B, but am wondering now if there would be any issues with just switching the fronts now and putting off changing the rears for a couple more track events. Ideally, I would change the tires all at once, but is it really a big deal to change the rears and the fronts at different times? I’d like to try to get all the use possible out of these expensive consumables and just hate tossing the rears just because only the fronts are trashed. Still, I don’t want to create any disproportionate grip issues that could upset the balance of the car for more than just the first few laps needed to scrub the new tires. Thoughts? **** it up, and pay to play?
What's everyone else doing that's burning through rubber like it came from trees? :bonker:

By the way, Jon Krolewicz, the founder of Seat-Time, runs an awesome show at Roebling Road and takes a personal interest in ensuring that everyone is getting the most out of their day. Just as an example, when the track finally closed and I was driving off in search of a shower and a meal, John was walking the 2+ mile track with a group of students. Repaving takes place in July and August.

http://www.seat-time.com :2tu:

http://www.roeblingroad.com/track.html

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it is worth as long as the tires do not hang around and get hard I would just change the fronts and run the rears until they are shot. just do not mix brands and tire types

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32