changing out cognac interior

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, no offense to those who have pumpkin interior. I am not a fan. I am looking at several cars, and all have that interior, and it is keeping me from pulling the trigger. Besides the obvious door panels and seats, how does a person go about changing the center console area and knee bolsters?

Any creative or aftermarket ideas?

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a place in Brownsville TX that recovers center consoles and many other items that can be covered with leather including factory steering wheels. I'll look up the info and PM if you want, let me know.

OP
OP
T

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consoles and bolsters are just held in by bolts. Come out in about 5 min.

I know.

There is a place in Brownsville TX that recovers center consoles and many other items that can be covered with leather including factory steering wheels. I'll look up the info and PM if you want, let me know.

That would be great. Thanks a bunch.

OP
OP
T

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any pictures of custom interiors? I have diamond stitched alcantara floors, inner door, and trans tunnel on my GT, and really like the look. Curious if that is too much for a GTS or not.

OP
OP
T

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly can't believe how many Viper's actually sold with that interior...cripes!

It's either a love it or hate it kind of deal. I personally wouldn't own one with it, but that is just me. Hopefully VicTX has a good shop down here that does good work.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly can't believe how many Viper's actually sold with that interior...cripes!
Yea, I definitely wasn't a fan either. But the ones I looked at with the black interior just seemed like they showed the wear & tear more. Even when you put armor all or whatever you use on them, they still looked worn & aged more (& I really didn't think the black interior looked good on the steel gray cars anyway) JMO. But I'm thinking about putting the black carpet on the doors, I Really don't like the way the cognac carpet looks on the doors.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wanted black interior but the car it bought had the cognac and now i'm happy with it, looks better in person :2tu:

i saw a couple of vipers with cognac and black carpet and that looked pretty good (black mats helped tone down the baby poop too) :omg:

color aside, the leather is superior quality.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
from another thread:

attachment.php

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh same with me, I would have preferred black, but I do love the quality of the leather.

That's a good odea on the black mats.

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recommend you check out Venzano Interiors if you want to change it. He does amazing work on Vipers

Reaction score

When you look at them routinely as I do you'll notice a pattern with the cognac interior; the R/T's typically look pretty worn out and sunburn, aka Basketball. But a GTS with fresh, clean cognac interior can show very nicely.

Good Luck!

Doug

Reaction score
Doug, My RT/10 must be an exception to the rule, cause I don't think it shows any wear & tear. JMO!

I would assume that's because you exercise reasonable care for your car :).
Of course not all R/T's w/cognac show poorly. But some of the ones we've seen with lots of sun damage and wear particularly from leaving the top off in the sun. My personal '99 R/T was worn & sunburned, ultimately I changed out the interior for black.

BTW, your car looks Fabulous - clean! If mine looked like that I would have not swapped out the interior.

Best regards,

Doug

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Doug, I was never a fan of the cognac interior but it didn't look as bad as I thought in person. It only had 7,900 miles (1 owner) when I got it & he took really good care of it. Last month I cringed when it hit 10k but I'm ok now, It's not going to be a garage queen. Is it that big of a deal to change out the carpet on the doors, I was thinking about doing that but wasn't really sure how that black would look with the black speaker grills. Thanks

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sprayed my knee bolsters, center console, door panels with black interior dye. I bought a black carpet, and now all I have to do is get black seats, or give a go at dying them first. They look pretty darn good to me.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the best mods I did on my Gen I. Getting rid of the horrible brown color with the yellow. I will say the Connelly interior is much nicer than the Gen I tan. Same interior found in a Ferrari 360 and 355.

Before Pic

2222ViperInterior.jpg

After Pics, got rid of the fuzzy door carpet as well, also have since had the center console covered in Leather.
2222InteriorDriverSideClose.JPG

2222InteriorTop.JPG

InteriorDoorPanel.JPG

Last edited:

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACELL that looks like a completely different car (really looks good). That IS one thing I'm going to do though, is do something with the carpet on the bottom of the doors (to me it ***** & even looks like it's a lighter color).

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the cognac interior on dark colour cars, but dont think it works that well with the red and yellow cars, Just my personal opinion, dont want to offend anyone ;)

The first GTS I was going to buy was Black with Silver stripes and a cognac interior ;) But in the nick of time I found out about Carfax! They saved me from making a big mistake!

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To each his own. My friend and I agree that Cognac has that Ferrari look to it and goes well with Red or Black exteriors. If anyone out there wants to sell me their Cognac interior for a price that won't break the bank, let me know. I may be interested in buying for the fun of swapping out once in a while. Tucker, if you dump your interior, sell it to me.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To each his own. My friend and I agree that Cognac has that Ferrari look to it and goes well with Red or Black exteriors. If anyone out there wants to sell me their Cognac interior for a price that won't break the bank, let me know. I may be interested in buying for the fun of swapping out once in a while. Tucker, if you dump your interior, sell it to me.

I'm thinking about taking mine out. I've already swapped the console over to CF and am looking for race seats now. PM me if you're interested.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960